The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Leaking rear gearbox oil seal (6spd)

Homer

Is a leaking rear gearbox oil seal common for the 6spd?

I've had the oil seal replaced 3 times now but it still leaks in a big way, it's managed to completely empty itself in 1000 miles (v160 ain't cheap!)

Any idea what else can cause this?

Sounds bad if you've had it replaced 3 times so far.. mine leaks but its only suprless around the seal and nothing is 'dripping' so bad that you see it on the floor like an oil leak. If you're going through that much in so little time I would suspect something else is causing problems.

That sounds like a big leak!

Me, well Mark at Phoenix, are getting experts on V160 leaks and having had my rear seal replaced twice in the past few months and still had a leak we finally looked at the gear linkage shaft were it enters the gearbox.

I looked on Supraforums and they also point towards this as being common, there's a seal surrounding the shaft that's only about 25mm dia.

If you are losing this amount of oil maybe it's completly knackered?

I had mine replaced on Friday and fingers crossed it's been dry up to now!

Paul

Thanks Paul :) I'll get that looked at too.

The entire underside of the car is being sprayed with oil, it even rotted the gearbox mount away!! The box was out of the car yesterday and the garage was certain it was coming out of the rear seal. Dude replaced the seal a few months ago and after he heard it was still leaking he thought the shaft itself might be worn and need replacing - I hope not!

Dependant on whether Paul K (Slowdog) can diagnose a separate problem with a slipping clutch tomorrow the car will be going to Phoenix next week anyway.

To be honest I thought the leak was only minor after Dude swapped the seal so didn't do much about getting it sorted. This week I decided to finally get the uprated clutch fitted.... this started as a simple job but £800 parts and labour later I've got more issues than I started with - and a car that is barely driveable :help:

Great stuff, if it's going to Phoenix then Mark may already have that seal, he ordered a couple when he did mine. I've e-mailed him to let him know mine seems OK now and as said he's got to be quite an expert on the V160 and it's bloody leaks :)

IMHO you couldn't be going to a better place, they also have a decent gearbox bloke should it need anything major.

Paul

Just to add, Phoenix were positive enough about mine to do the seal a second time FOC, it's only when this didn't work that it was decided to go for the linkage seal and it seems that the yanks think that this is more likely to go than the main.

Having seen the lot apart many times I would think it unlikely that the shaft is worn, possibly the ground face of the companion flange but this would be obvious when taking it off to fit the seal.

Spoke to Mark earlier today, he certainly seemed to know what he was talking about, conversation was something like this:

Me: I've just had a new uprated clutch fitted and have some problems

Mark: The bite point is on the floor?

Me: er, yeah, how did you know....

Mark: Happens a lot

Me: There's another problem....

Mark: Your clutch is slipping?

Me: er, yeah, how did y.... oh nevermind

Well it might not have been exactly that, i don't remember, but you get the point :D

Like I said unless Paul K can find a quick fix before Sunday I'm sending the car there. Normally I wouldn't bother as it will cost me a days work, but there's so many drivetrain issues I just want to get them solved once and for all!