The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Axle stands for the supra

JohnA

I just use ordinary flat headed stands. I've done a decat, front & rear suspension over the last 3 weeks and it's been steady as a rock. Migster's idea of wooden blocks would be better if you are uncertain - easier to make fit for a start.

Surely the wood would split under the weight, wouldn't it?

I haven't got a welder (or space for it) so fabricating is out of the question.

I was hoping that maybe there were others available, from motor factors or something...

well I haven't got much choice, it's impossible to lift the car on the passenger side in my garage, it's too blody wide.

I've got two supra OEM jacks so that helps, but don't want to leave it standing on stock jacks, it makes me nervous.

We're talking 10-15 degrees slope, it's not vertical drop or anything...

LOL !

OK, don't sound so bad, you're the bugger getting underneath it so I guess you're happy then that's fine.

What about making some blocks from marine ply or any good plywood, no chance of it splitting as it's opposite grain per layer and bonded.

I made some ages ago and they work fine, look well knackered now but not split.

Paul

You only need small wooden blocks, they don't need to be any bigger than the cradle on the axel stand.

Just like in the pic above, it would be even better to use a couple of small bolts to stop the blocks moving around.

If they're a snug fit on the axel stand like they should there's no way they're going to split, you need a slot cut in obviously to fit over the vertical flange which is under the sill.

Yes Mark, but did they have a profile like the one above? The Lidl ones are flat on top, aren't they?
dont think i would use axel stands in that position myself.i have worked under car before with just a sissor jack and a wheel under car. so i just bought a set of axel stands for better safety than a sissor jack. cant you work on car out of garage as your garage has to be smallest garage in england.

:drown:

.... cant you work on car out of garage as your garage has to be smallest garage in england.:drown:

The garage is wider than average Mark.

With the Calibra I had no problems at all, and with the Astra I can run rings around it. The supra is just too feken wide. That's why it's so stable at speed I guess, can't have everything eh?

The incline is outside the garage, obviously, when I need to fully open both doors or raise the passenger side (like change the frikin oil filter, that I can't access from the top, neither for love nor money)