The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Police just stopped me

CJ

Was it because I was speeding? No. Was it because I was driving without due care? No. Did I look like a suspected criminal? No. They stopped me because my front number plate did not conform with the law!

I expalined that I had done my best (it is a stick version put onto the bottom lip of the Do-Luck spoiler) and asked him where he thought I could put a full size number plate in an upright position. He replied, "Thats not my problem, I just enforce the law". I now have 14 days in which to sort this out.

Is that really the best use of a traffic cops time? (Dug would answer but he is on hols)!

Ah bugger! I was planning on a stick on one, thought they were legal?

I've tried several way to mount a standard plate and there's no way to do it without ruining the air flow to the FMIC. May now have to resort to mounting it on the lower lip but don't know how long it will last!

:thumbdown

Was this in Abingdon mate?

Could you just put a corret size plate in the window and get an MOT station to say it was there? Is that sufficient?

I guees I could put the new number plate velcro'd to the bumper in an upright fashion to appease the MOT station and then have it fall off as I left. I will go and see my friendly MOT chap tomorrow.

Of course it's the best use of their time. If I was a Plod, I'd rather claim to be doing my job by nicking number plate offenders rather than risking my life with domestics, dealers and terrorists ;)

Exactly Matt. I mean WTF harm does my number plate do to anyone eh?

Very inconsistent the police. I've got internal neons, which are visible from outside of the car. I've had police follow me ... and not one has stopped me for the neon light.

Doesn't the law state that non-standard internal lighting is only for off-road use only ?

Wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't been younger than my daughter! :(

Bet they thought they'd caught some young boy racer and would teach him a lesson. They must have got a right shock - well you would too, wouldn't you:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.holland/images/Kensml.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.holland/Ferrari/Dsc00625.jpg

LOL :lol:

Last time I got pulled for no plate the officer told me that I could get a £30 fine for it (he let me off - nice guy :) ), but he also said that if I put 'one of those little ones' on there or 'tried to put it at a stupid angle' that I'd be liable for 3 points AND a £30 fine. He said he wouldn't have bothered pulling me over at all if I had put the normal plate in the windscreen.

So, now I drive with the plate in the windscreen.

This is soo damn stupid.. I got stopped for the same thing... Bollocks did I change my plate.. Suck my balls :)

There excuse is that the speed cameras sometimes can't pick up the plate *chuckle* At least that is what they told me..

So first off they assume I speed, I do, but its not for them to assume, and second, my BIG argument, motor bikes have NO FRONT PLATE at all, and most have a tiny ten peice size one on the back..

It's all bollocks..

Doesn't the law state that non-standard internal lighting is only for off-road use only ?

Nope, you can have anything you like in the cabin AFAIK, as long as it isn't seen as distracting obviously.

External neons are another kettle as we all know!!

I was thinking about removing the front plate, haven't heard any stories of police around here complaining. Might just keep it in the boot and say it just fell off coming out of Asda or something!