The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stripped hub wheel thread bolt thingy!

Toms Supra

I got another puncture today on one of my back wheels. The tyres are 315 25 19 yokohama and are £250 each! god damn it!! I think i might b selling it soon you need to be quite well off to run these cars! anyway.... the last person who put the wheels on cross threaded one of the wheel thread bolts. does this mean new brake disc or can i just replace the bolt? :violin: :swear:

The stud isn't part of the disc, it goes through into the hub

Just buy a new stud.

Take the wheel off and rotate the hub so the damaged stud is at the rear.

Tap the old one out gently with a hammer and pull the new one in with a wheel nut ensuring it goes in square, make sure you don't over tighten and damage the stud.

Make sure you don't have to hit it too hard, you wouldn't want to damage the hub bearing - it shouldn't be too tight.

I used a ball joint separator to squeeze the old ones out.

Can't remember if you need to remove the disc or not.

I replaced all of mine.

I had to get a stud out of the rear hub once, hammer and a block of wood did the trick. Wood between stud and hammer, absorbs a lot of the shock but still transmits the force.

Get some smaller wheels :) 265*35*ZR18 Pirelli P0s = £150 ;)

-Ian

if you are stuck you can get round this by using some ptf tape (white plumbers tape).

Just wrap some round the end of the stud then put the nut on and wind slowly till it takes, worked for me and it's a common cure.

PTFE tape to secure a wheelnut to a thread-stripped stud? You're kidding right?

PTFE tape to secure a wheelnut to a thread-stripped stud? You're kidding right?

Nope, the thread always get knackered at the tip of the thread, ptf allows you to by pass the cross thread and get onto the stud. :thanks:

You don't use it to secure it but then you could try bondo and duct tape if it puts your mind at ease :sly: