The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Emanage - AFR input? - Boost input?

SimonR

I'm trying to get my head around how an Emanage works so that I can tune it myself (bigs mods on the way) and I've been reading here and on the Yahoo groups. I've got the support tool and have ordered the special USB cable.

There are some bits I'm not quite clear on. Can anyone help?

Controlling AFR seems fundamental so a wideband sensor looks like an essential. Can I get a feed from a sensor to the Emanage and, if so, can I log the AFR against the throttle setting and the RPM? If not, is it just a question of watching an AFR gauge in the cabin while making a mental note of the RPM and throttle position? Any suggestions for a gauge/sensor other than the AEM (which seems a bit pricey)?

I've got the Emanage pressure sensor installed. Will this allow me to log boost pressure to the Emanage as well? To be more precise, will it allow me to log boost pressure along with AFR (assuming that I can log AFR, of course), RPM and throttle position?

Apologies if these have been covered before. I did look but couldn't see.

You can log AFR, but it's not all that straighforward. What you do is wire your AFR into the 2nd airflow input on the Emanage that is normally used for Skylines etc that have two airflow meters. Normally the support tool won't let you log the 2nd input. You can either trick the support tool into allowing it to be logged, or use a third party bit of software to do the logging. Tricking the support tool involves hacking the map file which is a bit dodgy and then you have to convert the support tool logfiles into CSV that you can import into Excel.

The easier thing to do is to use a utility called "emm" which you can find on the Yahoo group under files. That logs all Emanage inputs and parameters to a CSV file which you can then import into Excel. Then all you have to do is use Excel to convert the voltage from the AFR sensor into an AFR via a lookup table. Then you can draw graphs or whatever you want. You will also have to convert the throttle position voltage and boost sensor voltage into their correct values, which is just a simple formula.

I can see the connection marked "boost". Which is the "second Airflow input"? Thanks.

It's one of the wires in the main loom. White is the airflow input #1 that you will have wired into the input from the MAP sensor. Yellow is the 2nd airflow input.

I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than an AEM - that's the cheapest I've seen. You can get a version that doesn't come with a gauge which is cheaper though, but if you have an E01 or don't fancy using a lookup table to get from voltage to AFR you'll want the one with the gauge as it has a linear output.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dang, I forgot to sort this out before the controller and sensor were installed. To save me a lot of time pulling the dash apart, can anyone advise whether the white 5v output that I want to connect to the Emanage comes from the sensor or the controller? Ta.