The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vauxhall Monaro

Stu_Fraser

The Monaro 2dr could be a bargain in a couple of years time.

Build quality is a bit dodgy, at least on the ones I've inspected up close. That won't help residuals very much.

But it looks the dog's dangles, especially in black, and that Chevvy V8 just *begs* for a couple of turbos.

it's not a Vauxhall unfortunately, it's a Holden, originally made in Oz.

That means you haven't got easy/cheap parts availability.

The body shape of the 2door is a cross between Aston Martin and a Calibra, it is gorgeous in my eyes.

it's not a Vauxhall unfortunately, it's a Holden, originally made in Oz.

That means you haven't got easy/cheap parts availability.

Aaah but its sold in the states as a Pontiac GTO so im sure there will be some cheap parts available for it :thumbs:

i love the look of the monaro, especially the VXR version :cool:

I think it looks so dull though - like an 80s throwback. They could have done more with the body shape.

And it's a Vauxhall...

Yep, I agree with all that.
Speaking of Top Gear and build quality, did you see the dashboard fit on the Ford pickup?! Blimey.
It was really poor but I wondered if that was due to it having been converted to RHD? He sort of glossed over the fact that it had been converted, not saying by whom. I bet you can't just order a f150 from your local Ford dealer, so where can you get one from?

...Not that there's going to be a huge demand for them after Clarkson's review :p

Yep, I agree with all that. It was really poor but I wondered if that was due to it having been converted to RHD? He sort of glossed over the fact that it had been converted, not saying by whom. I bet you can't just order a f150 from your local Ford dealer, so where can you get one from?

...Not that there's going to be a huge demand for them after Clarkson's review :p

Actually, I have been in one of these in Canada, a LHD version, and the interior does look and feel very dated and cheap. In fact it looked just like the RHD one on TG last night.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same cars here.

The Monaros I've been inside look neither dated nor cheap.

Maybe there are 'poverty' spec monaros, I'm not sure.

Same with Supras perhaps, I had a friend who wants to replace his Calibra turbo but thinks that all supras inside are drab, without accessories, full of cheap plastic and nasty cloth.

Nothing is further from the truth, as we know.

Vauxhall Monaro

347 BHP

1658 KGS

212.65 BHP/TON

5.23 0-60mph

12.04 0-100mph

6.80 60-100mph

13.49 1/4mile @ 105.85

Vauxhall Monaro VXR 5.7

382 BHP

1688 KGS

229.94 BHP/TON

4.92 0-60mph

11.00 0-100mph

6.07 60-100mph

13.14 1/4 mile @ 109.31

Vauxhall Monaro VXR 6.0

398 BHP

1688 KGS

239.57 BHP/TON

4.77 0-60mph

10.53 0-100mph

5.76 60-100mph

12.98 1/4 mile @ 111.01

standard Monaro similar to standard TT

VXR 6.0 similar to BPU supra ???

just found a tuning company that tune them. Still fancy your chances ??? :giveup:

"Stage 3 - 310kW @ the wheels (circa 550 BHP)

Stage 3 with the LS1 engine is an increase in displacement by increasing either the bore or the stroke of the engine. Using either method will result in a swept capacity of near on 6.2 litres, and provide a healthy boost to bottom-end torque delivery.

A real benefit of fitting a stoker conversion is that the inherent out-of-round bore and ill-fitting piston problems of the LS1 engine will be instantly cured.

Included in this package is a strengthened crank, rods, pistons and just about everything needed to build a bullet-proof engine. As the RPM limit can easily be increased at this point , valvetrain strength will come under the spotlight, and at this point we offer uprated valve springs, retainers, and roller rockers of various configurations."

I've seen somewhere closeup pictures of a prototype twin turboed monaro.

Pretty neat, the turbos were below the sump level though, needing scavenging pumps to drag the oil back up. A fortunate byproduct of this awkward positions was that the heat of the turbos wouldn't end up in the engine bay.

They'd be asking in the order for £10K for the conversion, but I'm sure it can be done for less...

I've seen somewhere closeup pictures of a prototype twin turboed monaro.

Somehow, turbos on American V8s always seem wrong to me. :)

I guess I associate turbos with attempts to get lots of power out of "little" revvy European and Japanese fours and sixes. Yank V8s should be about brute force, superchargers, and torque.

Met a stock one 6l last night leaving the house...

and he did play...

I kept up with him, and I didn't push my car past 4k RPM, I didn't go past him because my fueling issues would have caused issues....

But I certainly stayed glued to his tail, so I reckon if I was running right it could have been interesting...

I was impressed by the monaro, I must be honest...

Somehow, turbos on American V8s always seem wrong to me. :)

I can't argue with the off-boost pulling power of a 6.0

I remember when I was helping a friend supercharge a Yamaha VMax, the motorbike equivalent to the chevvy V8.

The dam thing became unrideable because it was getting even more power where it didn't need it.

The yank V8s need help at the top of the rev-range, exactly where a twin-turbo setup would help.