The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White Supe destroys diff on Santa Pod 1/4 mile

cornimac

Did any of you see this happen at Ultimate Street Car today?

Was a great chance to see two of the few supes out this day run head to head on the Pod's 1/4 mile. Turned out a disaster for one guy. As the white supe in the pair left the line his diff exploded and spread itself on the track!! :eek: Was a most upsetting sight to see.. :cry:

I don't know if the fella is a member but my condolences and heart go out to him tonight as he tries to get his motor home. At least the other one put a decent time in 13.438

Few pics below. Took them an age to suck up all the bits. Apparantly the photographer taking pics as they go off the line has such a high res shot (8Meg camera) that you can resolve all the little bits flying about. If you are a member fella - tell us about it and post the pic...

USC05_2005_0807_151010AA.JPG

USC05_2005_0807_151031AA.JPG

USC05_2005_0807_151052AA.JPG

USC05_2005_0807_151035AA.JPG

USC05_2005_0807_151150AA.JPG

USC05_2005_0807_151232AA.JPG

USC05_2005_0807_151546AA.JPG

I saw this!! Just as the comentator said he thought 'The white supra is sounding very strong', BANG! Gutted. Took a look under the car a bit later on, and the diff had gone with such a bang, that the under side of the car was a right mess! Diff was in a million pieces. Sad sight. :cry:

Talked with the guy later on and found out that it was a Cusco diff :eek: and you're right Jez, it was a bloody mess under there. Even the floor pan had been ripped open just behind the drivers seat by shrapnel! :scare:

Definately chav-central there today though!

Hey, chav fest yes, but it was actually a really good day, for me and the missus! Its difficult to resist 'the pod' whatever the show...........especially when you live ten miles away from it!!!!!! Terry, diff destroying supe was manual. It almost looked as though the diff had come away from its mountings, shattered under the stress and devastated the back end. Perhaps somebody didnt do the mount bolts up properly?! :cry:

I was there setting in the crowed that the photo was tacked he started to tramp then bang was very sad looking like a quick run I took mine downs the day before got a 13.5 1st time i ever tried this was fun i think i need to do some modding but she kept on lousing traction when in boost had a big sideways on the boost in 1st the 2nd was good fun though lol. any one see my 13.5. I think some one see my friend driving the car he had a go as well.

really love the ultimate street car was deff good fun up for any other meets you guys arrange.

Guest ricksupra

it was my car...........engine was perfect, internals of diff are fine, just week diff bushes and rubbish diff casting plate, I will post pic up tomorrow of poor metal quality, 900hp@wheels is also harder to put down than I thought, (hat is off to Dee Ireland)

Launch was good tho so once fixted I should be in 10's,

Guest ricksupra

HKS T51R SPL, running 2.0bar on day(max 2.3 on stock inlet), 1000cc injectors, Full titanium exhaust, HKS F-Con Pro V, 106 Octane fuel, HKS crank, rods, pistons, Topsecret 272 cams. (lots of other bits and bobs)

Dyno was at topsecret in Japan (chiba)

1015bhp@fly, so id guess around 900hp at wheels, please correct me if im wrong, there are some vids of me in the car in Japan with topsecret driver, http://www.draganddrift.com, you have to join forum, but I also have a video of topsecrets 3S-GTE supra, worth a look.

Guest Terry S

Excellent, injectors must be near their limit!

HKS T51R SPL, running 2.0bar on day(max 2.3 on stock inlet), 1000cc injectors, Full titanium exhaust, HKS F-Con Pro V, 106 Octane fuel, HKS crank, rods, pistons, Topsecret 272 cams. (lots of other bits and bobs)

1015bhp@fly, so id guess around 900hp at wheels, please correct me if im wrong, there are some vids of me in the car in Japan with topsecret driver, http://www.draganddrift.com, you have to join forum, but I also have a video of topsecrets 3S-GTE supra, worth a look.

1015bhp@fly, so id guess around 900hp at wheels,

Serious effort and work going on there - very impressive :topsecret :respekt:

Forgive my posting this thread but I wanted to share the grief with the members and offer some sympathy. Hope you get it worked out and get yourself that 10s run.

If you want any of the pics at higher resolution, Pm me your email address and I'll send them over. They're about 2.5MB each.

Cheers

Guest ricksupra

to be honest I still want to sell, but she wasnt right before, I had spark plug issues, now I need to weld and fix diff, then she will be up for sale again, £20k anyone?

Yes 1000cc are at maximum,