The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Attention: Members automated Event/Meets organiser

SupraStar 3000

I’ve had an idea!

see what you all think, especially YOU MODs

Problem:

Not everybody regularly checks this forum for our events and times.

Its a week before a major event and we suddenly have multiple threads giving contradictory information on convoys, times etc.

Also, last minute changes or events are hard to organise because you need to TRUST everyone visits the FORUM and reads your thread in time:

Solution:

Hopefully this idea could be adopted without any major changes to the forum engine.

Here's how it works:

Any existing members OR new members can at anytime go into the “userCP” as currently available only with one additional option.

Under “Edit Profile” you currently have the option of “Location - Where You Live”

Additionally we would need a “catchment area” drop down menu with:

NA, North, South, East, West, Midlands or simular.

After selection the users profile will be updated with a CA area tag “catchment area” ie MD

ie. My header would read:

SupraStar 3000

Next:

When organising future events or even convoys a request should be made to any MODs who then activate an automated notification e-mail or PM (this will need programming) to all members within the appropriate catchment area allowing them to coordinate themselves.

Example:

JAE 2006, I wish to organise a convoy from the midlands to the event.

or

Its a nice sunny day. Anyone fancy a meet up!

You then post a thread as before giving suggested times, roads etc. Then PM any available MOD with a request to inform everyone in my catchment area.

All local members receive the appropriate e-mail which then directs them to the original thread (simular to the current thread subscription service) and everybody is able to clearly understand all necessary details.

I have a postcode (free) database and some code that works out locality. It was designed for ADSL locations but could equally converted easily for this.

Basically it works out the long and lat of two positions and calculates the distance (as the crow flies).

I'll mail attach it to this thread if you're interested.

just to clarify, This is only an idea and needs to be confirmed by a "moderator" or "techie person" to tell me if its possible.
That'll be me then. :) It's not going to be a simple thing to do, but if people like the idea then I will look into it. It will, like all major changes from now on. have to wait until the next upgrade which should happen around the end of the year.

How will this effect club members residing outside the U.K. and will we still be able to find out about meets/gatherings/events "the old fashion way"? I don't want to miss out on stuff ya know?

nothing will change mate.

You will still see threads in the events section as before however, those members directly involved or located within the area will recieve an automated e-mail giving a direct link to the thread JUST INCASE they have missed it.

:rolleyes: :ecstatic: