The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to look for.....

matt johnson

I'm wanting to buy a twin turbo manual in black and as i'm a complete novice with supras, well Toyotas in general tbh, i thought i'd ask you guys what the keys things would be to look at when buying one.

All help greatly apprieciated

Thanks

Matt

Hi and :welcome: Matt

Have a read of the posts in the FAQ section in the Tech section, lots of useful information in there, also [thread=23259]THIS THREAD[/thread] is useful for Supra buyers.

What are you looking for Twin Turbo or NA, what's your budget, etc?

cheers

Welcome :)

Thats a big subject that comes up often (As you can probably imagine!)

Black manual TT's are one of the more sought after cars, particularly the UK spec one.

Here's a search result that should bring up most of the previous posts. If there's anything you can't find the answer to there, ask away :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/search.php?searchid=351943

thanks guys thats great, those threads are really helpfull.

If you did a hpi check that would obviously only be able to tell you about the car since being registered here, yes?

That carfax.com will cover it from before it was imported?

What would you class as being high mileage? Are higher mileage cars a no go, or are they ok as long if they have been serviced well. Do you think resale would be hard after adding a couple years worth of mileage,for example, to the car?

Matt

Yes, the HPI would only cover it since it's been registered. I *think* that carfax is a US thing, but could be wrong there. A Bimta check is what you need if you want to check the cars history in Japan - http://www.bimta.co.uk

High mileage? Well that’s a relative thing! Jap cars almost always have a lower mileage (Whether that’s a 'trustworthy' mileage or not is another matter...), the UK cars tend to have higher figures, 100K isn't unusual. To be honest the mileage isn't all that important, its how well its been looked after. The condition is usually a good giveaway of the how well a car has been taken care of. I'd sooner have a mint 100k mile car than a rough 50k mile one!

If you're viewing a car then the you're best off taking a person with experience of Supra's with you - I'm sure someone from the club could help you out if you have a car in mind.

Yeah taking someone along i think would be a good idea.

There doesn't seem to be that many available tt manuals in black at the moment. I like the look of scarface GTti's(Daves) supra tt manual he has for sale on here but the only thing that i'm unsure on is that its covered a lot of miles for an import. Does anyone know the car and can vouch for it?(Hope you don't mind me asking things about your car Dave as i expect you'll read this)

The problem i have is living all the way down in Cornwall its nearly always a long way to travel for a viewing so need to try and get a good idea of what they're like before i do.

I know i could get one imported but i have no car at the mo and cash ready to buy and can't handle the thought of the wait!lol

Thanks for all your help

ScarfaceGTI's car used to belong to “Bigmoistyturbo” after he bought it from an importer (In fact it was because BigM wasted Dude's time that I have my current car - the one BigM was originally intending to buy!)

Sorry, I digress!

BigM was a bit of a chav twat as far as I recall (see the car and ex-owner here: http://www.cruise-lincs.net/april04/supra/ ) but Scarface will have looked after that car for sure. From his posts here he is a bit of a car nut and will have taken care of it :)

If I were in your situation (as I was almost 2 years ago when I bought my Supra), I'd hold do one of two things:

1) Buy a WELL KNOWN car from a member on this forum

2) Contact Jurgen of JM-Imports to import a fresh Jap car

Hope this helps

Darryl

yeah from speaking to scarface it definetly sounds like he has taken good care of it. Its just the high mileage that puts me off a little, as i expect i will keep the car for a few years and would probably end up doing a few things and wonder whether that would be better warranted on a lower mileage car.

I also really like the sound of Neo1's RZ TT Manual thats for sale,it sounds like its had the mods in the right places and is a car which at some stage i might well end up with, although the clutch sounds like it could be rather harsh.lol. I'm used to a Paddle clutch but apparantly these are worst! I'm wondering whether that maybe to much of a street racer for me?

I think i might make inquires with Jurgen like you mentioned.

Matt, Neo1's car has a huge spec, though he says several aspects of it are unknown. If all he's been told is true then its a very, very good price indeed, even if the 'unknown' aspects of it are untrue its still a very good price.

Personally I'd want to strip it down to see whats been done. If you are planning on doing any serious modifications then it will almost certainly be required to know what you are dealing with (That doesn't mean this is a bad deal at all).

does seem to have a good spec, definetly one to consider.Don't think i would want to go any more on mods than that one has tbh.

My dad was speaking to someone last night and he mentioned i was looking to buy a supra. The guy said that the supra is really twitchy on the rear end and wouldn't really advise getting one. Are they really that bad?

I think that depends on how you drive it. It's not dangerous in an old-Porsche-911 kind of way. Yes people have lost it and crashed, but it's usually either in the wet (when most rear wheel drive cars are rear-happy anyway) or being too lead footed coming of a roundabout or something. It's a big power, rear wheel drive car, so yes the back end will step out if you do something to make it, but it's not unpredictable or dangerous.

Besides which, fit Race Logic Traction Control (RLTC) and the problem is pretty much removed. I think most people on here would say your contact was wrong - I don't think the Supra could ever really be described as twitchy.

Matt, no problem at all about asking people their views on my car. I welcome open criticism, its healthy when trying to sell a car. As i have already mentioned to you i think my car has been lowered too far but generally it is mint and i have treated it better than i treat the missus.

As for mileage, 6 cylinder cars are good for astronomical mileages. I`d went for a higher mileage car as it is more likely to be genuine and i believe high performance cars are better for use than sat up with rubber bushes perishing and valve stem seals hardening. But each to their own.

I`ve also already said you should look at a few cars instead of just mine and please feel free to have anyone look at my car, no problem at all.

Hope this helps.