The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Playing with an idea

Guest L80OUS

Lemons. Honestly. Trust me. Jap, German or Swedish.

This was true in the past but not now!

Not sure about a 98 car, but in the last 4 or 5 years things have improved hugely.

Infact now they're better built and more reliable than a lot of German cars including Mercs and BMW's, this is also backed up by customer surveys.

Are you aware of the Nikasil lining of the bores issue,the sulphur in some low quality fuel breaks up the Nikasil lining in the cylinders, causing a loss of compression. Once the lining is damaged, excessive bore wear of the soft, underlying alloy occurs very quickly.

This was common amongst BMW's and Jags in the late ninetys, the Nikasil coating process was developed by the German firm Mahle. The problem wasn't apparent during testing as they only used good quality fuel.

Therfore some cars would be okay,best to get it checked out.

http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/jaguar/x308tips.htm

I suppose it depends what you're after? If you're going for an XKR, then I guess you're wanting a bit more luxury, or a boot perhaps?

I needed something like that so I bought a second car, a Lexus LS400 (keeping it Toyota... :p ); and there isn't a car on the road (this side of £100k) that can match it for comfort (you can hold a conversation at a wisper, doing a ton!). The best part is, I bought a 97 model for £6k (average price)! I've had it for about a year, and I haven't even needed to put oil in it; a well maintained one simply doesn't go wrong and it'll do 300k easy.

I know having 2 cars isn't always practical, but you'd have something to ferry the wife and kids around in (or simply fit the shopping in) and still have your play thing?

It's not slow either with 280 horses; not fast by any means, but it'll hold a scooby in a staight line (sometime I forget that I'm not in my Supra... :p ).

Just a thought.

This isn't true , anyone who says Jags are unreliable are living in the past! :)

I don't think any modern car is truely unreliable these days ...... I just thought it was a great gag ..... I think it was off the back of a crappy showing in the JD survey a five or so years back to be honest.

Engine wise most cars are sound/reliable yes.. its the 3rd party supplied parts that let a lot of cars down, plus electrical and things like exhaust replacement, I hear people changing back boxes on Pugs after about 2-3 years, the one on my old Corolla lasted well over 10!

Still makes a nice used car though if the prices fall a lot, its only running costs that'd really put me off.. and like I said earlier, the Ford parts :D

At out Jag dealer services are between £190 and £400 for a major service which snt bad condidering its a Jag. As for reliability and Ford parts the XK hardly has any major parts from ford or electrics and they rearly have any problems or break down what people think.