The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Breather filter.

ArghJae

They are yet another of those excellent 'mods' that look cool under the bonnet (for those who don't know any better)

1. they poison some of the air that gets in the cabin (toxic and corrosive fumes may not be good for your lungs, braincells etc)

2. they deprive the camcovers (and crankcase) of much needed vacuum. Extra bonus parasitic losses and risk of blowing seals.

3. turbochargers hate them, because the increased crankcase pressure interferes with their lubrication

But they LOOK GOOD, so that must count for something, right?

They are yet another of those excellent 'mods' that look cool under the bonnet (for those who don't know any better)

1. they poison some of the air that gets in the cabin (toxic and corrosive fumes may not be good for your lungs, braincells etc)

2. they deprive the camcovers (and crankcase) of much needed vacuum. Extra bonus parasitic losses and risk of blowing seals.

3. turbochargers hate them, because the increased crankcase pressure interferes with their lubrication

But they LOOK GOOD, so that must count for something, right?

And sometimes you don't have much of a choice...as with *some* single kits....until something better can be custom fabricated at inveriably huge cost.

It's all very well and good preaching from a distance....

Some of the air of the engine bay makes it in the cabin.

Better-designed bays & cabins like the Supra have less of this, but they are not hermetically sealed.

It's worse when people drive around with the aerotop off, or open windows.

If you are trying to be sarcastic and disruptive, you'll have to try harder mate. I did wave a white flag (end of post #99)yet again, it's getting tiring.

On the subject, I've smelled the fumes first hand, I've also experimented with such little 'breathers'. They're not worth using, despite the convenience they provide. Crankcase pressure has to *sucked* out, not left to push itself out.

Guest chiefvinso
If you are trying to be sarcastic and disruptive, you'll have to try harder mate. I did wave a white flag (end of post #99)yet again, it's getting tiring.

On the subject, I've smelled the fumes first hand, I've also experimented with such little 'breathers'. They're not worth using, despite the convenience they provide. Crankcase pressure has to *sucked* out, not left to push itself out.

Not knowing as much as I would, but a performance tuner I have dealt with recommended an oil catch pan on higher tuned engines. Would one of these help suck the pressure out or is it forced out? I pressume the latter as it catched oil, but like I said I am not up to speed on this.

I have one of these breather filters on the WOT side, have had it for a year or so now. I've never smelled the fumes myself and I'm very aware of all the noises, smells, and behaviours my car goes through so I can detect a problem state in it's early stages. So what can I say when you tell people that fitting one of these floods your cabin with brain damaging fumes?! Agree with you even though all my experience points to the contrary? Nah :) I'll always defend what I think, and let's face it - I could have just said "bollocks" rather than offering a plausible counter-theory, but I think that's unproductive and plain rude.

And I'm hardly going to be "sarcastic and disruptive" in Tech am I, you wouldn't believe the kicking I'd get off the other mods if I was disruptive in my own patch lol. You sorta seem to have an issue with any viewpoint that opposes your own, especially when it comes to the more esoteric claims and possibly especially when it comes to me :) Hey ho. I encourage opposing views in tech because it's the only way things get nailed down. Anyway, you smelt your fumes, I haven't on mine, maybe it's the setup/angle/install/louvred bonnet/some other problem causing too much blowby/whatever. And I thought you had a stock car anyway, so I'm not sure where these fumes are coming from on your car.

Aaaaanyway, I took the breather off and cleaned it recently, it was a bit gummed up on the underside (it's at a 45deg angle) which was to be expected. I'm looking to get Mig to weld me up a boss for the intake tube to give me a proper vacuum source. The reams of useful info I've got off Digsy :respekt: since I fitted it has persuaded me that this would be a good thing to do because of the WOT crankcase pressure issue. I'm a believer in giving the engine as easy a time of it as possible where I can, seeing as I'm asking a lot running x bhp on a single turbo.

Weekend soon :clap:

-Ian

Not knowing as much as I would, but a performance tuner I have dealt with recommended an oil catch pan on higher tuned engines. Would one of these help suck the pressure out or is it forced out? I pressume the latter as it catched oil, but like I said I am not up to speed on this.

They can do either, depending on how they are plumbed in.

Guest chiefvinso
They can do either, depending on how they are plumbed in.

Thanks Digsy, I've always vented to atmosphere - so what are the negative affects of it going straight into the airbox (standard set up)?

I melted mine! and aside from the above issues personally I think it looks better routed back to the intake, which is how mine is now.

They fall off as well :innocent: You find them months later in the undertray, looking like they have gone through a hedge backwards...

-Ian

Thanks Digsy, I've always vented to atmosphere - so what are the negative affects of it going straight into the airbox (standard set up)?
If you are producing loads of blow-by, then it could affect your fuel / air mixture. There's lots of stuff in blow-by gases, and not all of it is nice. At a rough calc I reckon you can expect WOT blow-by production to be in the region of 100 to 200 litres per minute worst case on a big single car on the overrun. However, the fat end of this will go through the part throttle breather into plenum.

This might sound like a lot, but the car will be trying to suck approx 10000 litres of air per minute, so you are talking about 1 to 2% of the total flow being blow-by.