The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard M3 vs Standard TT

Guest L80OUS

Guest L80OUS

After weeks of thinking my car had got slow (I no this happens when you drive round in the thing same all everyday) I had a race with what looked like a pritty much standard M3 on a M-reg.

Who would win I ask you agaisnt that and my totally standard TT import on a L-reg.

Well I'll tell you.......

Off the round-about at 30mph the normal amount of 2nd turbo - turbo lagg the race started the M3 was 2 car lengths behind me.

30mph to 80mph the M3 caugh me not by much but a car length if that, I had another passager he was on his own, after 80mph I pulled away from him 1 car length.

So all in all my car was a little bit quicker but not much, is this normal or is my car slow??

M3 Specs: 0-60 5.1sec 1/4Mile 13.4, I think??

Opions please people :stickpoke

If that was an E36 M3 it sounds perfectly normal mate. They're quick cars - lighter than the supra with only a bit less torque. If it was an E30 then you need your car looked at! Or if it was an E46 he wasn't trying ;)

Go BPU and you will only have a challenge against the E46 M3, but that wouldn't be too much bother once you're past 100mph.

I used to be a bmw fan (mostly e30's) and have driven pretty much every model made before 2003... Since buying the Supra I'm no longer interested in them :innocent:

A new-ish M3 had a go at me on the M25 3 months ago.

We backed off at 140odd, but from 80-140 there was not much difference between the two, I could slowly pull away, but only just. Mine was stock at the time.

Now that it's doing 18-19psi max he wouldn't stand a chance in hell :read:

Guest L80OUS
If that was an E36 M3 it sounds perfectly normal mate. They're quick cars - lighter than the supra with only a bit less torque. If it was an E30 then you need your car looked at! Or if it was an E46 he wasn't trying ;)

Go BPU and you will only have a challenge against the E46 M3, but that wouldn't be too much bother once you're past 100mph.

I used to be a bmw fan (mostly e30's) and have driven pretty much every model made before 2003... Since buying the Supra I'm no longer interested in them :innocent:

Sure it wasnt a E30 as it wasnt that old,my mate reakoned it was a E36 evo, im not up on my bmw's so not sure, I was under the impressure I would have the older style M3 though, still not that happy with the result

some cams wi and an fmic with a decat would work better :) Also get your car dyno'd at the likes of thor he can tell you if you have problems and where those problems are. Timwildman had a result last year at JAE told him his exhaust baffles had come loose and was only producing 240 at the wheels. My advice stop racing other cars as it is a waste of time. half the time the other driver isnt racing you the other half the other driver is a twat and will do anything to get in front of you. If you wanna race go to silverstone :)

Sure it wasnt a E30 as it wasnt that old,my mate reakoned it was a E36 evo, im not up on my bmw's so not sure, I was under the impressure I would have the older style M3 though, still not that happy with the result

How did your mate identify it was an Evo, very few would know the difference ;) Even so you will be matched by a normal M3 and beaten by the (very rare) Evo ones. What did you expect mate - a stock Sup is a quick car - so is the e36 M3!! There's nothing you should be disappointed with about being on-par with one of these.

If you spend the £1k - £1.5k to get your car to a good BPU standard you'll be looking at 380-400bhp and won't be so concerned about M3's... mainly because your sights will be set a little higher :p

Another £6-7k on a single and you'll be keeping up with supercars ;)

Guest L80OUS
How did your mate identify it was an Evo, very few would know the difference ;) Even so you will be matched by a normal M3 and beaten by the (very rare) Evo ones. What did you expect mate - a stock Sup is a quick car - so is the e36 M3!! There's nothing you should be disappointed with about being on-par with one of these.

If you spend the £1k - £1.5k to get your car to a good BPU standard you'll be looking at 380-400bhp and won't be so concerned about M3's... mainly because your sights will be set a little higher :p

Another £6-7k on a single and you'll be keeping up with supercars ;)

Yeah I guess ure right, at the end on the day the M3 its germanys version of our beast from the east, I will sleep peicefully 2nite in the normal world that we still own one of the top 10 best performance/looks car on the road.

Guest chiefvinso

An Evo version is distuingishable by its alloys, its a 3.2 with about 320 bhp but is slightly heaver than the 3.0 which is about 285 bhp - unless they have put evo alloys on their 3.0 version then its hard to spot them. TBH I think the extra weight and power cancels out any extra performance.

I'm pretty sure the EVO wasn't available on a M reg, they come out later.

The Evo IS quicker than the standard M3, 2 mates had them 1 EVO, 1 non. the EVO always won undisputed.

EVOs on paper (i can only go by what i read) are near enough identical to standard TT in BHP & TORQUE, 0-60mph in 4.9s (manual TT) 5.0s (EVO) 1/4 mile both 13.7 secs. The EVO is restricted to 155 mph but who knows what they are capible of.

i've been in both, the EVO has a nice pull in low revs and continues right up to silly rpm, we all now how the supe feels :D

Very similar but very different. I personnally would not say one is quicker over the other, however if the supe had any mods then thats a different matter !

my 2p's worth.

EVOs on paper (i can only go by what i read) are near enough identical to standard TT in BHP & TORQUE,

Not close on torque- 325lb/ft plays 265lb/ft. I drove sevral evo's back to back against the Supra- you have to work the evo hard compared to the Supe, but give either the full benny's, and there isn't much in it, M3 is much more composed imo, but the Supe is easier to drive 99% of the time- imo.