The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project car?

tbourner

So, someone tell me why this won't work, or any problems that will arise - cos it seemed a good idea at the time (drunk!).

Right it's a drag car, cos it'd use so much petrol it'd be silly on the road. Also it's gonna be loud - in many different ways!

It's going to be a van, like one of the small ones - Renault Kangoo type!

We want a big engine in the back, not really important which one I suppose, V10 out of a Viper would be nice! :p

Then we'd have a small 4 pot in the front, little 2 litre or something, about 150 - 200 bhp.

The front engine would have no say in the drive of the car, so no transmission losses and no loss for pushing the vehicle.

All the front engine does is power the MAHOOSIVE supercharger for the V10!!

We could therefore forget all the low psi figures you see coming from superchargers (because they rise too high at high revs otherwise), and just idle the engine at a suitable level (2000 rpm? 4000 rpm? - told you it'd be loud), and run the supercharger at a high boost level at all times.

It'd have to be wastegated in some clever way so that the air just goes when it's not needed (screamer pipe!!!), but it'd be right there when it is needed!

Viper V10 with the biggest supercharger ever seen on a car, RWD in a stripped out van.

Or am I totally wrong and the loss of power to drive the car is irrelevant when it comes to running a bigger charger?

That was an afterthought TBH, the main idea is that a dedicated engine for the supercharger could therefore run a bigger supercharger than the engine that's using it. Apparently top fuel dragsters have such a big supercharger that a F1 engine couldn't run it!! But then with 5000 odd bhp I'm not surprised!! I just wondered if it would make a difference or does the tranny loss not really matter ie is it more torque dependant? Does the loss of torque from vehicle movement reduce the possible charger size?