The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help - EGTs above 900!!

irfan_habib

When I am on the motorway my EGTs are usually around the 850 mark. Today whilst giving it a bit of a thrashing noticed that they actually went over 900, in fact it hit 1000 at one point, boost controller was set to cut boost at 1.2, but it had spiked to about 1.3 when I noticed the 1000. The temperatures have never been at above 900 for very long, nonetheless, have now changed my boost controller to cut off at 1.1, in fact may even lower it further to 1.0 bar until I can get it checked out.

I recently got my Supe and have heard that EGTs above 900 are not good.

I guess it's these warmer summer days. Any ideas on options to keep my EGTs below 900, even at high boosts. Was thinking that my next mod would be a suspension upgrade, but that may have to be put on hold until I get this sorted which is obviously more important as I really don't want to melt my engine!

I have stage 3 hybrids/FMIC/550's etc... running at 1.3 bar i have never seen over 850 degs - EGT probe mounted on No1 runner

I have planned for an FMIC and upgraded injectors and related bits, but these are for later.... Will see what the outcome is when I have it checked out this weekend

1.3bar on hybrids with J-spec fueling?

Must have been running very lean. I'd not run above 1bar with that setup.

Injectors, fuel computer and FMIC are very much needed now.

Have set the boost controller to cut at 1.0 bar. Will be having it checked this weekend. The plan was too always add new injectors, fuel computer and FMIC, but had left that for a bit later maybe in 6 months time or so... oh well will just have to hold off on any other spending... Hopefully there hasn't been any damage to other engine components.

By the way any rough estimate on the cost I am looking at for new injectors, fuel computer and FMIC and what types are recommended?

It will cost between 1 and 2k to do all that you need, depending on the quality of the parts you purchase.

I would get j-spec compatible 650cc injectors. GReddy or Blitz 2Row FMIC (or a Chris Wilson Uprated SMIC). And an e-Manage. I would also get an AEM wideband 02 sensor and have some money spare for a tuning session.

There is likely to be a few eManage's (blue original version) up for sale second hand soon as the eManage ultimate is out...but you could save a packet using a second hand Blue eManage which will do the job more than well enough.

If you are decatted and running hybrids, you'll need a restrictor ring to bring the boost down, you can't set the boost controller to 1bar and expect it to work, unfortunately - it can only raise boost above your minimum boost level. The minimum boost level is how much boost you get with the wastegate wide open - in your state of tune it's going to fluctuate between about 1.1 and 1.4bar because the wastegate is just too darn small.

A restrictor ring in the exhaust will help control this - see Chris Wilson for one. With your boost more under control you also need, as has been said, much better fuelling. An FMIC should be second after the fuel upgrade - putting in denser cooler air with an already inadequate fuel system will only make matters worse...

-Ian