Who drives with TRC?

francis

Do you drive with TRC on?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive with TRC on?

• Yep
    • Nope
    • Sometimes

Just wondering who here drives with standard traction control on or off? My Supra's got a dry solder joint so I rarely get the chance to turn it off (must get it fixed soon!) but when I do the car is a lot more fun, even in conditions where the TRC working light wouldn't normally come on. It even feels faster in a straight line. Is this normal and what do you guys think?

I guess the ultimate solution is to get RaceLogic Traction Control although it's going to take a bit of saving for!

Regards,

Francis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I get in car its: Key in Ignition, turn key, press 'Trac control off' button.... :D

I only ever use it when its raining and I'm on the motorway. Any other time I find its to slow to react or cuts power exactly when you need it - like pulling out of a junction with a lorry heading for your drivers door!

I always have mine on, flashes loads on most trips out so it makes me wonder how many times it's saved me..... I always turn it off on the track though of course :)

Same here, tbh I dont drive around needing it 90% of the time, its just on because the red light telling me its off is annoying :)

My Trac Control is in the bin, the Trac ECU is now a door stop, and No, i dont have RLTC :D - I've been lucky enough to drive a TVR Chimera for the last 3 yrs - they dont have traction control either...

:D

Well Heckler...what can I say....CAHUNA SIZED BALLS.... :D

I've had a few twitchy moment when the cars on the verge of fishtailing in a STRAIGHT LINE............(in the wet though)

RLTC lets you get on with business in the dry, really does come into its own in the WET.

Too scared to switch it off in the WET.... :drown:

I took my TRAC fuse out within 1 week of owning my Supra. Never fitted any other traction control device as I'm a firm believer that the best way to fully know the limits of your car is to program youself to control the throttle input.

With 400 or so bhp, a RWD car is great fun to drive in both the dry and the wet.

If some of you guys are planning on spending lots of money on fancy T-C devices, I can't stress enough for you to go and experiment on a few airfield track days with just your right foot doing the work, you'll be surprised how easy it is to control a Supra when it starts sliding at either the front or the rear.

And when it occurs on the road you won't tend to over correct.... which is a high percentage of how RWD cars crash.... the driver reacts well in time but simply puts in far too much correction lock and the bite-back from the rear tyres spins him/her out.

• 2 years later...
Just wondering who here drives with standard traction control on or off? My Supra's got a dry solder joint so I rarely get the chance to turn it off (must get it fixed soon!) but when I do the car is a lot more fun, even in conditions where the TRC working light wouldn't normally come on. It even feels faster in a straight line. Is this normal and what do you guys think?

I guess the ultimate solution is to get RaceLogic Traction Control although it's going to take a bit of saving for!

Regards,

Francis

this is what id like to know, if the stock traction control is on does it in anyway limit the power to your right foot? as maybe its just me and having not turned it off that often to really comment on it but car did feel a quicker the other day when i took it off.

Francis, you can always pull the TRC fuse, under the bonnet, to disable it :)

...Not in the VVTI's you can't....

I never ever use mine, even in the rain. I prefer to have the control. I find TC more of a hinderance than a help.

The only exception is when it's actually snowed, and I absolutely have to use my car, then I stick it in "SNOW" mode.

Mine is always on. I only turn it off when i want to make some smoke :innocent:. I think it must be better in the uk cars. Mine has never given me a problem and left me infront of a truck. But then i dont try to make it into small gaps in traffic.

Mine flashes on when i go over bumps in the crappy roads. But never when its in the dry and normal driving. I never notice it when raining eather. But then when its raining i try to avoid turbo 2 :p

I always leave mine in.

TBH, it can be quite annoying and cutting power at times when not really needed. IE, pulling out of a junction at speed.

I also noticed that the majority of the time it tends to kick in a touch too late if that makes sense?

think you need another couple of voting options...

* throw stock tc in the bin (had close calls with mine, like it cutting in seconds after it's needed, leaving me stranded at a junction and once filing onto a dual carriage way!)

* fit RLTC - highly recommended! worth the money IMHO

RLTC or any TC for that matter isn't a compensation for learning how to drive - think of it as a safety-net when something unexpected happens (after all it's the unexpected that catches people out, no matter who you are).

With RLTC it's highly configurable, and completely off-on able - so when in good circumstances, just turn it off. Normally it's set so that under spirited driving it's not really doing anything, but going just beyond that and it kicks in progressively to keep things sensible. Also, "Launch control" is interesting on the manual :)

If I got another supra, it would be one of the first things I'd do as a mod. It's one of the fewer mods that actually make the car better, not worse. But you can start making it better for free, just by disconnecting the stock unit lol ;)

OEM traction control removed and binned, rltc revoved and sold Traction control takes all the fun out of driving ;)

maybe you had it turned it up too high all along :p

It's no fun losing the arse-end at 80 in the wet though (or is it? lol)

Mine is always on. I only turn it off when i want to make some smoke :innocent:. I think it must be better in the uk cars. Mine has never given me a problem and left me infront of a truck. But then i dont try to make it into small gaps in traffic.

Mine flashes on when i go over bumps in the crappy roads. But never when its in the dry and normal driving. I never notice it when raining eather. But then when its raining i try to avoid turbo 2 :p

My UK traction control has had me calling for new trousers on a few occasions now - notably twice when cutting all power when pulling out into a gap in traffic, both times when it's been dry.

It doesn't tend to cut in in the rain though, and it seems quite happy to let the back end do its' own thing in those conditions.

All that said, I tend to turn it off now except in heavy rain or on a long motorway journey. :)