The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EEEeeek, quote for my gearbox repair

lust2luv

The 5-speed manual gearbox on my SZR destroyed itself a while ago and I've just got the quote from Gloucester Road Gearboxes in Bristol:

Tow there: 110

Replacement recontructed gearbox: 795

Labour: 160

Downpipe exhaust bracket?: 8

Spigot bearing: 20

+ VAT = £1,284! :(

Now he also offered:

flywheel resurfacing for 50 + VAT

new clutch (said it's "well over half gone"), from Toyota: 253 + VAT

I guess I'm gonna go with the flywheel, but would I be crazy sticking with my old clutch? Is that a fair price? How much am I looking at to change it at a later date?

Need a really quick reply... cheers guys

:looney:

Its V hard to resurface the dual mass flywheels, But Im not sure the 5 speeds have them..

Double check or you will be in for a new one of themn as well.. If it is dual mass it needs to be DRY TURNED and they need to gaffer tape up between the two plates so metal shavings dont get in to the rubber dual mass section!

Good luck :cry:

I'm not a techie, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the manual gearbox was a sealed unit and couldn't be reconditioned, so I'm a bit wary of his 'reconstructed' gearbox. However, that could be totally wrong or maybe apply to the 6 speed - someone more knowledgeable could confirm/deny.

I'm not a techie, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the manual gearbox was a sealed unit and couldn't be reconditioned, so I'm a bit wary of his 'reconstructed' gearbox. However, that could be totally wrong or maybe apply to the 6 speed - someone more knowledgeable could confirm/deny.

Having just had my 6spd box fixed, I'd say that's no longer the case ;)

The 5spd one is the one from the MkIII isn't it?

-Ian

There are people about that have 6 speed boxes second hand. or you could be sensible and go auto heh heh. :) Seriously phone around you should be able to get a tow cheaper than that. Second hand box shouldn't be any more than £600 as getrags can be had for a nadge more than that. Thats about 4 hours labour there which isn't too far off the mark i'm guessing if all went according to plan. Fly wheel resurfacing?? why does it need that? The clutch I would agree on as its general practice to put a new clutch in if you have a box off. Let your fingers do the walking and investigate some price options.

im always the type who dont trust some car places from previous exsperience. So i take along my 'dad' :innocent: who is infact a mechanic and he listens to what they say.

Best advice he gave me is put die that glows under black light on it E.g. ur intials etc.... to make sure they recon the part and not put a 2nd hand one in.

A bit late to go elsewhere, it's already there with the box off!

Dave, the 5-speed box is servicable, it's the 6-speed Getrag you're thinking of (although note Ian's comment)

The W58 box has been used on many Toyota's, dating back to the MkII Supra, but it's a later uprated version that appears on the MkIV NA Supra and Lexus SC300s.

Should have read "flywheel refacing".

I'm sure these guys are genuine, but I just naturally never trust a mechanic (or a dentist!), since you're totally at their mercy.

I'm coming to terms with the cost somewhat. Have had virtually no problems in 4 years of Supra ownership, other than consumables, so can't complain too much.

Don't think anyone's ever upgraded a 5-speed to 6-speed, can't see any point unless you're replacing the engine with a TT too? Tried a number of parts websites and nobody had a 2nd hand box. At least this way I have a 12 month warranty on the box.