The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing Springs Help

terribleturner

Ok, so i've decided as i can't leave the house that i'm gonna try and swop my springs over. I've got a little picture below, but i just wanna check that there's nothing i'm missing.

A= Undo the 3 bolts on top situated inside the car.

B= Compress springs.

C= Remove bolt.

This should release the damper so i can then remove the spring right?? Im half way through and don't think i've compressed the spring enough as the damper is still pushing down on part C.

hipercoiloverkit.jpg

I've just read your first post again. Are you trying to compress the springs with the shocker still on the car? When I took my rear shocks off I didn't have to compress the springs at all to remove the strut from the car.

It must be easier to to compress the spring once the strut is off the car. I assume you've got a workbench and a decent vice etc?

The whole strut comes out as a whole when you remove the bolts at the top and the bottom.

There seems no way that the strut is coming out. It seems to have expanded and shifted out. The 3 screw at the top will not go down towarsd the wheel arche for love nore money :cry: Can't even get it back together to get a garage to look at it for me. Saying that it wedged in place :sly:

There seems no way that the strut is coming out. It seems to have expanded and shifted out. The 3 screw at the top will not go down towarsd the wheel arche for love nore money :cry: Can't even get it back together to get a garage to look at it for me. Saying that it wedged in place :sly:
Have you got both rear wheels hanging down? How have you got it jacked up? Jacking it up from under the diff is no good.

yeah my arse end is blowing in the wind as we speak :D

Chris is it usual to have to remove to top wishbone??

No, but I know what I'm doing.... :)

You need to lever the bottom arm down, hard. Be careful what you lever, and what you use as a fulcrum. I have seen a few realy HORRIBLE messes where people have tried this at home, so don't bugger it up. Some jobs are just easier done on a ramp by someone that's done loads of them before! Not being nasty, it's just the way it is. Like I don't fiddle with my PC.....

Sorry Jake. yeah the car is jacked up and i now have some axle stands postioned under it taking the weight. When i jacked the car up to start with i did just one side as i was only checking before i started the job. Didn't want to start something i couldn't finish :cry: It seemed fine and i put the first axle stand in before moving to the otherside. Nothing was being obstructed in anyway once the car was up.