The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS light and Slip-Cont - PLEEEEAse help

jiixer

Ok random thing,

One day I start the beast and the ABS light stays on.... oops I think, ah well, well go anyway, Turn the Slip cont off as I always do. ! mile ish after warm up the Slip light starts to flash!!! Test ABS and nope, its not there.

Symptoms.

ABS Light on - NO ABS

Slip Cont light flashes after small drive

ECU - NO ERROR CODES!!

Checked ABS ECU (ie the connections)

Checked Fuse (Cant find relay)

Im stumped!!!!

Jiixer

If there is a problem with one of the ABS sensors/or signal from it, you will get both lights come on. If the ECU realises one ABS sensor is not working it completely disables the ABS. The stock trction control uses the ABS sensors also. They also both use a separate ECU above the stereo which could be another cause of the problem, have you had the dash off recently?

Yes the dash has been out repeatedly, but im very careful to put back everything carefullt=y, and I have ched it all!!!

OK so what are these ecue's?

>

Cream color, two plugs (i think) 1st above Stereo

Brown one samller sits above that ecu, one plug

>

2 Silver ecu's sat on top of eachother.

Any help appreciated!!!

Ok, brown plastic ecu above stereo is electric ariel relay, white ish plastic one is an abs ecu, two lower ones have metal casings, lower is trac cont and abs, and top one (this one i,m not sure of) is also abs. I,m also having flashing 'slip cont off' problems! Tried everything so b***ocks to it, getting RLTC fitted next week!!! :shrug:

Ahahaha - did you know you can check the ABS ecu for stored fault codes, much like the engine ECU?

1. Turn your ignition *on*

2. In the diagnostics port, unplug the short connector from the bottom right (it's a bit of metal that joins two pins)

3. Use a jumper wire on pins TC and E1

4. Your ABS warning light will now behave like the check engine light, as in:

"If system is functioning properly, ABS light will flash 2 times per second. If a malfunction is detected, 4 seconds will elapse, then ABS light will begin flashing 2-digit DTC.

ABS light will flash first digit of DTC, followed by a 1.5-second pause, then second digit of DTC. If 2 or more DTCs are stored, a 2.5-second pause will separate DTCs. After all DTCs are flashed, there will be a 4-second pause, then all DTCs will repeat."

('DTC' being the error code)

See if you have any stored codes - post 'em up if you do and I'll look up the errors. Wait until you find out the funky way of clearing the stored codes, it's right cool :D

-Ian

Ahahaha - did you know you can check the ABS ecu for stored fault codes, much like the engine ECU?

1. Turn your ignition *on*

2. In the diagnostics port, unplug the short connector from the bottom right (it's a bit of metal that joins two pins)

3. Use a jumper wire on pins TC and E1

4. Your ABS warning light will now behave like the check engine light, as in:

"If system is functioning properly, ABS light will flash 2 times per second. If a malfunction is detected, 4 seconds will elapse, then ABS light will begin flashing 2-digit DTC.

ABS light will flash first digit of DTC, followed by a 1.5-second pause, then second digit of DTC. If 2 or more DTCs are stored, a 2.5-second pause will separate DTCs. After all DTCs are flashed, there will be a 4-second pause, then all DTCs will repeat."

('DTC' being the error code)

See if you have any stored codes - post 'em up if you do and I'll look up the errors. Wait until you find out the funky way of clearing the stored codes, it's right cool :D

-Ian

Now thats what I call a helpful post!!! Ill check tonight and get bcak to you!!

CEEWL!

Ok strange....

Clipped the Ports and checked the light....

firstly I noticed the Cruise Control light was flashing continuiously, and then the ABS light..... did this....

Ignition on

>> Lit for 1 second

>> Unlit for 1 second

>> Then on constantly...... forever!!

Tested this 5 times.. same results....

Shed any light?

J

You did put the ignition on before the rest of the steps...? I don't know if it'd make a difference but the instructions are pretty clear that the ignition should be on when you take out the short pin and put in the bridge wire...

-Ian

You did put the ignition on before the rest of the steps...? I don't know if it'd make a difference but the instructions are pretty clear that the ignition should be on when you take out the short pin and put in the bridge wire...

-Ian

Yes I did, and that was the result!!

• 2 years later...

Code 32

Malfunction of left front wheel speed sensor signal. Check

speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness, and connector.

Code 33

Malfunction of speed sensor signal for right rear wheel.

Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness, and connector.

Code 35

Open in left front wheel or right rear speed sensor circuit.

Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness, and connector.

Sounds like you've got a wiring issue that is taking out the left front and right rear wheel sensor signals. There isn't much chance of two opposite corners having their sensor fail at the same time so there must be a common cause, I'll have a look at the circuit diagrams...

-Ian

Hum, there is no common wiring. I noticed it says "or" and not "and" under code 25 though. Have you cleared the codes and then gone for a test drive to see if it logs the same codes or just maybe one of them?

Also have you got anything like RLTC wired into the ABS system?

-Ian

Disconnecting the battery is the sledgehammer method :) There is a much cooler way of clearing the ABS fault codes - while it is flashing the fault codes at you, tap the brake pedal 8 times withing 3 seconds and you'll see the flashing light go back to a steady "clear" signal.

-Ian

• 2 years later...