The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Screwed

chilli

Some help needed! I'm trying to change the boot rubbers and nothing... i mean nothing, has been able to the budge the bloomin' screws!!! Any advice???

:complain:

Cut away the rubber till you get to the metal plate then use heat, small blowtorch is best, heat the heads of the screws and it will transfer down the shaft melting the loctite that Toyota use. Then unscrew as normal (or use mole grips/pliers if you've shagged the heads)

Paul

Using a hacksaw blade, cut a line in the head of the srew so you can removed it with a large flathead screwdriver. Much safer than heating!

That's what i ended up doing funny enough!

Don't you love a 5 minute job that turns into an hour job!!

:thanks:

The old original style screws are "crappy drive"! I selected the right screwdriver but no matter how hard I pushed they wouldn't grip enough and the screw head ended up getting mashed up as usual!

The replacement screws are of a decent design, don't think I'll have that problem again. Small job but worth doing if you've got any rattles from the back.

posi-drive, phillips, crosshead, whatever! ;) I use the terms interchangably because I'm stupid and don't know which is which.

What I was getting at though, was that the correct screwdriver should do the job. Mine came out easy enough anyway :)

The old original style screws are "crappy drive"! I selected the right screwdriver but no matter how hard I pushed they wouldn't grip enough and the screw head ended up getting mashed up as usual!

I must've just been lucky with mine. Glad you sorted it in the end anyway :)

I tried posi and philips type screw drivers, had the right size in both types, these screws were tight with a capital T.

Glad you didn't have any trouble carlos, I wasn't expecting any, but thats the way things go. Maybe yours had been out before or you had the later screw type, either way the stubord screws I had wouldn't budge regardless.

The slot I cut enabled me to use a large flat screwdriver which gave much more purchase than possible with the cross head.

I'm thinking if I ever have to do that job again then an impact driver (used with caution) would be the best way to go, sods law I couldn't find mine when I needed it...

lol, you might well be lucky, either way its not the end of the world, but it makes a 5 min job a whole lot longer when they are so stubborn.

so thanks for the help everyone :)

PS: Magicmatty, it might be worth you getting some new screws as well (only cheap from Mr T) before you start, just in case you mash the old ones up.

If you think that's hard, wait till you find some 'properly' seized brake caliper pins.

Oh dear....

One of mine was a right bitch! It wasn't seized per-se but it had been mashed up around the end and wasn't straight any more :(

I replaced my boot rubbers upper and lower last week, both unscrewed no probs but still get creaking noises with the new ones in over sharp bumps etc

i wish i hadnt bothered changing them and just kept the piece of rubber between them i was using as a temporary measure!