The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shocks for N/A - no choice?

Mike

Lately my car's been making a bit of a 'clunking sound' which seems to come and go... only at really low speeds (unless that’s the only time I can hear it?) - so after reading some of the posts on here it sounds as is this is a fairly common one (did someone mention a drop link?)

I took it into the garage for a service a couple of weeks ago and told them about the noise... they checked it out and tightened up the front suspension, but still the noise is there... (I trust what they say, they've had good reviews on here and I'm not thinking their creating work or anything...)

The advice they have is that it's the front shocks that need replacing - OK - and it's about £300 fitted and the only ones I can fit are the Toyota ones (which is a shame because I was dreaming of those Bilstein ones you can control from inside the car..!? no, I'm joking..)..

So my question(s) are;

- Is this right I can only have Toyota ones on an N/A?

- Are they considered to be of good quality (they're going to last me, right?)

- Is this a good price?

Also I know the ride is a fairly hard one, being a performance car, but will I notice the difference when their replaced? I think they must have been fairly knacked from buying the car (six months ago) so I've not known any different..?

Cheers! :)

I've just ordered a full set of Tein Super Street dampers from Envy (658 quid) for my N/A and should be fitting them on Sunday. Nearside front & both rear dampers have gone on mine, so I've got the boingiest Supra in the world right now. I'll let you know Sunday night how well it goes with the new ones.

Any Supra damper that will fit the TT will also fit the NA, they are all designed to fit the JZA80 Supra, not specifically the TT.

If you want Bilsteins I can get them from here at a good saving over UK prices, just sourced a set for Colsoop, PM me if you want a price. Infact I can get pretty much any Jap branded dampers or coilovers at very good prices here.

I may also have a set of used TRD spring/dampers up for sale shortly also.

I've just ordered a full set of Tein Super Street dampers from Envy (658 quid) for my N/A and should be fitting them on Sunday. Nearside front & both rear dampers have gone on mine, so I've got the boingiest Supra in the world right now. I'll let you know Sunday night how well it goes with the new ones.

Why only the nearside front, I'd be a bit worried about just fitting a new damper on one side, as it could upset the handling if it is mis matched to the other side ie. new shock one side, used shock the other.

S'okay Nic - I've ordered a full set. I just meant that the nearside front damper is knackered as well as both rear ones. I might not be very good with cars, but I'm not that daft. lol

Ah sorry mis read your post and thought you were just fitting the 3 new ones :D