The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Meguiars!!

Stonkin

OK, this is one of those threads that is 'worthless without pics!'

But i was just curious as to who has actually used a good range of their products.

I spent 6 and a half hours doing a wash, clay, body scrub and wax on the car last friday. The difference was simply stunning. the only product i didnt use (i got lazy by then) was the scratch X to remove any swirls from the paint.

How many of you have cleaned your car, stood back and thought, GOD DAMN! :) Well next time you do, run your finger across a section of the paint and you'll be amased at the imperfections and blemishes you will find. I would guarantee my car, being 10 yrs old, would have never received a clean like it did that day. Even after a clean, the dirt, tar and day to day crap picked up by the clay and body scrub was horrendous.

Ok the full kit to do this isnt the cheapest, but something like this only needs doing at the most every 6 months. My car is now filthy again but it will be getting a clean later this afternoon and i will get some pics then.

Go on, give your car a treat!!

Christian

Its so well worth it, and even when i clean it today, it will look just how it did last friday and will keep that appearance for some time after each normal clean.

To run your finger over the paint, is like touching glass. I went to fill it up at a garage just after and was asked by this middle aged guy if he could 'touch' my car :)

To run your finger over the paint, is like touching glass. I went to fill it up at a garage just after and was asked by this middle aged guy if he could 'touch' my car :)

:eek: I hope you said NO.

If Mequiars is anything like the stuff I use, you should be able to watch the water run off the car when driving in the rain, wash bugs off the front of the car with a normal wash, nothing special or extra attention for the bugs just, a simple wash. It also keeps half the cr@p of the car which, would normally stick.

It's well worth doing......just takes time to do a proper job every 6 months or so and keep the wax going on every couple of weeks.

I have had cars stop in the street and ask what stuff I use......they can't see it being a 10yr car (OK, it was resprayed in 04)

Ive used Meguiars for around 8 month now and used it a lot on my old mk4 golf. That car gleamed superbly in the sun. It was like it had just rolled out of the showroom.

One question. Where does one get a Mequiars Clay Bar from? Ive heard of these but cant find them anywhere and nobody knows what im talking about.

I afraid that I have no patience to clean/polish cars. I used to, but slowly over the years the interest has dwindled and been replaced with the urge to just go for a drive instead.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the look of a well polished car but afraid that the "technics" for a proper job are unknown to me. :drown:

WTFs clay, the only clay I know is in the back garden! :stupid:

Is there a bodyshop person or valeter that could give a step by step guide on how to use these products? :rtfm:

I have lots of Meguiars product for sale at cheap prices if anyones interested? Some are on ebay at the momeny but could do a better price if your bying a few things?? Did have some of the quick clay but it sold like hot cakes!! Does work very well.

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=feakins&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1

IIRC clay is like a putty, you rub it over the paint with the aid of some lube stuff that comes with it, and it literaly strips the top layer leaving it completely smooth!!

You then nead the putty so that all the crap gets 'eaten' by the bar.

You MUST wax afterwards though or your paint is open to the elements.

how much is the kit m8, if it gives that good results i may av to purchase, is the putty like t-cut then... just takes top layer off??

OK, this is one of those threads that is 'worthless without pics!'

But i was just curious as to who has actually used a good range of their products.

I spent 6 and a half hours doing a wash, clay, body scrub and wax on the car last friday. The difference was simply stunning. the only product i didnt use (i got lazy by then) was the scratch X to remove any swirls from the paint.

How many of you have cleaned your car, stood back and thought, GOD DAMN! :) Well next time you do, run your finger across a section of the paint and you'll be amased at the imperfections and blemishes you will find. I would guarantee my car, being 10 yrs old, would have never received a clean like it did that day. Even after a clean, the dirt, tar and day to day crap picked up by the clay and body scrub was horrendous.

Ok the full kit to do this isnt the cheapest, but something like this only needs doing at the most every 6 months. My car is now filthy again but it will be getting a clean later this afternoon and i will get some pics then.

Go on, give your car a treat!!

Christian

Ive booked a week off work to clean my car to get it up to a show and shine standard. This includes taking off the wheels steaming the arches and floor pan and engine then mop it twice with autoglym O3B fine abrasive then `finese it` finishing compound then, polish with Auotglym super resin then meguiars carbuna wax then autoglym hard wax (super gloss protection)! and paint the brakes and do the interior! did this with my old 306 and came runner up (against a concours 106) twice in 2 years at pugfest show and shine event. phew!

Ive booked a week off work to clean my car to get it up to a show and shine standard. This includes taking off the wheels steaming the arches and floor pan and engine then mop it twice with autoglym O3B fine abrasive then `finese it` finishing compound then, polish with Auotglym super resin then meguiars carbuna wax then autoglym hard wax (super gloss protection)! and paint the brakes and do the interior! did this with my old 306 and came runner up (against a concours 106) twice in 2 years at pugfest show and shine event. phew!

Blimey. Im knackered just by reading your post! Bet your arms were like tree trunks after!

Nice to see lots of good comments about this stuff. I did take some photos at the w'end, but they were taken in a very dark area and it had pissed down on the car just after cleaning it, i will try and get them up later anyway.

Just so people know, halfords are also stocking this stuff now as well.

Christian

Hi, I'm a bit new to the world of "serious" polishing, I recently purchased some Meguiar's products and have had a quick go with quite good results so far. I'm planning to do a serious days polishing in the near future. The thing is I have the deep crystal polish (step 2), the gold class shampoo and wax and was thinking of getting a clay bar / quick detailer.

Is it ok to mix and match like this? Would I be better using the complete 3 step systems. From what I gather the gold class stuff is their best, so should I just not bother with the step 2 stuff? I was thinking of using autoglym gloss protection as the final coat as I've had good results with that before.

Sounds like a lot of work but hopefully it will be worth it :) Car is black (doh!) so it needs the effort to look it's best!

Ceptik, have mailed you :)

Chilli, i havent used the deep crystal polish so cant really comment on that. I did mine in the following way:

This was done on each panel at a time, dont attempt to do the whole car in 1 go or you will be forever going back over it (especially with a black car!) Start with the roof, then bonnet and work down.

1.Use the gold class shampoo, rinse and dry using a 100% cotton cloth as opposed to a chamois (i find it works better)

2.Use the clay bar with the quick detailer until the bar glides smoothly across the paint. Rinse and dry. Remember to work the clay between your fingers to try and use a clean bit of it as much as possible.

3.I then used (oh bollo*"s, cant remember what the next one is called) but its a red bottle and is a body scrub, polish it on using 100% cotton again, by the time a panel has been covered it will be ready to be polished off, again using 100% cotton. Keep turning the towl and dont press to hard or you will feel the friction / heat building up which wont create a good effect.

4.I then used one of the Nxt Generation waxes. Apply this with another cotton towel and then polish off as before.

You will see the dirt coming off on the clay bar, but the body scrub will remove even more.

This really should leave the paint gleaming and like a baby's arse to touch :)

I have also used the AutoGlym Gloss protection spray (the one in a big white can) This is very good, but i wouldnt advise using it for a while after doing this as it will react with the final stage of wax that was applied before.

The pictures that will be up soon were taken 2 weeks after i used the Meguiars stuff, and was simply just a wash, rinse and dry. No polishing at all.

Christian

Cheers Ceptik, just wish i'd taken them in a properly lit area and not in the middle of the woods! :)

If you go into the woods today, you'll be sure to spot a soop. de de de dee dee de do do da, dee dee, dee dee dee do da

hahahaha, sorry, i'm just having a little moment here :)