The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear window tint

JonW

Peter,

I took the factory fitted film off my rear window with total disregard for the heated screen element but it actually didn't damage it at all.

I started off by warming one corner of the film with a hairdryer and tried to peel it off but I soon got bored and just yanked the film off cold.

hi jake , ill probably try that , and if it does damage the screen then it will have to be replaced, would you say a warm day to attempt to get it off ,

might help , only atm its like winter down here

Down here? Swansea is Oooop North compared to me mate! :p

I suppose a warm day wouldn't hurt.

Do it with the demister turned on! might help.
Jesus Christ! Why didn't I think of that? :KicksSelf:

the tint will come off easy, its just the gluey residue left behind is the hard job. soapy water and a stanley blade will do the trick just mind the heater elements.
I gave up using soapy water and tried all sorts of different things like thinners, white spirit, meths, acetone etc etc. The only thing that worked for me was aerosol brake cleaner. It disolved glue stuff quite well.

So for my first question since being a member

I have scratched a couple of little chunks out of the tint on my rear window. Is there a way to sort this out or will I need the whole thing re-doing??

Cheers

Jon

Hi jon

had my windows tinted the other day,all the used was a heat gun,but don,t apply to much heat,then once the tint is off,use auto glym window cleaner,spray a fair amount on and leave 5 mins the glue should then come off pretty easy.

cheers

antoni

right guys , tint off last night took about 40mins , jake done what you sugested and just ripped it off .

today took about 3 hours to remove the glue, used petrol , didnt damage the heating elements .

just feel as if im flying due to the glue sniffing last night , and petrol sniffing today lol.

jon w , hope the highjack of your thread may help you .

cheers guys peter :respekt: :clap: :thumbs: