The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strut Brace

monkey76364

Ok just getting my 1st strut brace and just seeing if there is any special way I should fit it, or any thing to look out for. Its going on my J-spec N/A ??? :thumbs:

And do you guys recomend them :shrug:

The Cusco ones are very good quality, I'm pricing up front and rears for a few members at the moment.

got one of those cheapy EBAY jobbies. Look ace cause at the end of the day, from a performance point of view I couldnt tell the difference with or without a strut brace, perhaps on track it makes a difference...

Cusco N/A and TT front braces are different. I suspect they are more bling than performance - but I need a track day to check this theory. I can't imagine a rear one does much for the chassis.

My front brace was on when I bought the car, so I can't comment on these. However I fitted a rear Cusco carbon fibre brace and did notice a difference. I have speed bumps down to my house, before fitting the brace if I went over the speed bumps on an angle, I would get a slight creak from the rear door as it twisted slightly (had very hard sus at the time also.) With the brace fitted this twisting was greatly reduced and no more creaking.

I believe the rear one's are a waste of time...however...I would like to see what the DO-Luck rear brace is like as that mounts in 4 places and not 2. (Any chance of a price Nic?) As it mounts in 4 places it "looks" more business like...but I'm not going to say it does add anything bar weight.

The Rear of the Supra is very well re-inforced...and to tell the truth the front towers are very stiff too...The Supra is very very solidly built....but I'm a sucker for these things and love my TRD Front Strut brace and I feel she'd be naked with it!

The Cusco one is pretty, but you can bend it over your knee, so I don't think it's going to do much chassis stiffening.

I gaurantee you would not bend either front or rear carbon fibre Cusco strut brace over your knee. The rear one I mentioned in my post above is a carbon fibre strut brace, which has circular CF centre section that is around 30mm in diameter.

I also very much doubt it would be possible to bend the Aluminium one either, but you sound as though you have tried it, so until I get the chance to test this for myself I will accept your word for it.

The Cusco one is pretty, but you can bend it over your knee, so I don't think it's going to do much chassis stiffening.

You're going to need some seriously strong arms and knees to bend these :D

These are some of the cross sections of the central brace, taken from the Cusco site HERE. Most are extruded with either ribs or the section has been designed to be as rigid as possible.

I'm not saying you will see big handling improvements by fitting one of these braces, only a full body cage will achieve this. They do however make a small difference, as I described in my post above.

I wonder how easy the ebay ones are to bend over your knee :innocent:

e_alc_a.jpg

e_alc_b.jpg

e_as_2.jpg

e_os_1.jpg

e_os_2.jpg