The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can different oil make such a difference?

Jake

I used to run my car on Mobile One fully synth oil. I always averaged about 18mpg. I had my oil changed a couple of weeks ago but this time it was refilled with 'Royal Purple' oil. I'm now averaging 21.49 Miles per Gallon (288 miles from 60.82 Litres at last fill-up)

Can a different oil really be responsible for such a difference in fuel economy? I've never managed 20mpg from a tankful before.The car is being used for the same commute each day and nothing else has been changed.

Also the car now doesn't smoke in the mornings like it used to. It's needed the valve stem seals doing for the last 25,000 miles but suddenly it's stopped smoking.

Seems to good to be true.

If less oil is getting into the the breather system (because it's not as thin as the other stuff) then maybe less oil is contaminating the burn?

Which grade of Mobil1 were you using?? The 0w stuff seems to get passed the seals easier than most...

Can a different oil really be responsible for such a difference in fuel economy?

I've just swapped out from a mineral oil to Royal Purple R41 (10W-40W) and I'm just starting to guage the difference. I'm getting better fuel economy too... but you should have seen the state of my old oil :blink:

Keep recording your mpg m8, I'm all urban miles so I'll post up on the results of the next tank for all our sakes.

B :thumbs:

You were using MINERAL OIL??

50 lashes for you m'boy!

:angrymod:

:scare: oww oww oww ow ow ow oww oww oww ow ow ow Oww ow ow ow ow ow ow ow oww oww ow ow ow ow oww oow oow oow oow oow ooww ow ow oww ow owo ww ow ow ow ow ow ow oww ow oww OOW

Fully Synthetic only!

I know... at least I assume it was by the state of it. I don't know what her PREVIOUS guardian was using, so the only way to be sure was to spend £££ on a good new filter and RP41. Might have been some of that semi-synth stuff. In any case, BLACK is not a good colour at all...

Penguin... if I'm not mistaken, magnetec is great stuff but not fully synth. I might be wrong though... :hide:

Guest chiefvinso
:angrymod:

Penguin... if I'm not mistaken, magnetec is great stuff but not fully synth. I might be wrong though... :hide:

Its a semi syn AFAIK

I read somewhere (maybe solkolene site) that any mineral oil that has been modified or added to is classed as synthetic according to a ruling by some American court. Its been a while so I might be wrong.

LOL I just cracked up at work LOL - I knew someone would count it...

I'm not doing two more oww's because I don't deserve it :p My poor supe... :love:

I read the same thing on the Sylkolene webby too, there's truth in it, but then they would say these things wouldn't they? I must say RP seems to be great stuff, Arghjae had his changed the same day, replaced the plugs too so he might get a good increase in mpg too.

We'll shall see.

I always used to use Mobil1 0W40 fully synth in my MX6 on recommendation by almost everyone on the MX6 site. I could not get rid of the HLA tapping, no matter how many flushes and oil changes I did. And it smoked like a chimney on startup.

Sold the MX6 when I upped to the Supra and found out last weekend that the new owner carried out 1 oil and filter change using a heavier Castrol semi-synth. The HLA noise went within 5 miles and the smoking has stopped. :(

So yes - changing the oil type does make a difference. And as it can make such a difference to the oil burning and engine noise I wouldn't be at all surprised if it also leads to better fuel consumption.

Cheers

Guest chiefvinso

I counted it once then posted and then realised what if I have counted it wrong! So I counted it 5 more times just to make sure. Obsiously too much time on my hands in work :tumble:

As for the oil, solkolene is pretty good stuff - havent had the privelege of PR as yet but maybe once I get my soop I will give it a whirl. :respekt:

Guest chiefvinso
I always used to use Mobil1 0W40 fully synth in my MX6 on recommendation by almost everyone on the MX6 site. I could not get rid of the HLA tapping, no matter how many flushes and oil changes I did. And it smoked like a chimney on startup.

Sold the MX6 when I upped to the Supra and found out last weekend that the new owner carried out 1 oil and filter change using a heavier Castrol semi-synth. The HLA noise went within 5 miles and the smoking has stopped. :(

So yes - changing the oil type does make a difference. And as it can make such a difference to the oil burning and engine noise I wouldn't be at all surprised if it also leads to better fuel consumption.

Cheers

a 0w oil is really thin which is why you were getting that tapping noise probably and oil gets thinner as it gets warmer which probably meant it went down the valve stems when you turned off and then on start up in the morning the oild got burnt off.

I've been using Royal Purple for about 5 years now in every car/bike that I've had and I can't recommend the stuff higher. I've seen roughly an extra 50-70km fuel range straight away, gear changes have been smoother, power delivery slightly better (although this has been hard to tell in the Supe as I replaced all the fluids almost immediately).

Where did you get it from? AFAIK Millennium Motorsports in Cornwall are the only suppliers in the UK.

Where did you get it from? AFAIK Millennium Motorsports in Cornwall are the only suppliers in the UK.

Got my fill from Paul K @ Max-GT near Basingstoke. Great service. Pricey stuff but well worth it for in terms of longer life :thumbs: I would have thought that Olpie would do some...

Cool. It is a bit dear, but IMO well worth it for the gains it provides. I'm glad someone else has seen the benefits - you wouldn't believe the arguments I've had on past forums with folk who just won't believe oils actually help performance.