The mkiv Supra Owners Club

coil packs --- how long do they live?

JohnA

Don't know if JSpec and UKSpec coilpacks are the same, but in any case, how common are failures in that area?

I know about connectors playing silly boogers, I'm talking about the 'body' of the coilpacks. Since we can't even measure any parameter on them, it's a bit of a black art, isn't it?

I noticed that some of the rubber boots in mine were slightly discoloured when I first got them out. Having had bad experiences with weird high-tension leaks in the past, I changed them with brand new boots just to be on the safe side.

But is there a known point where the coil packs are expected to fail? Just wondering...

:(

I'm getting a set of new ones. If it still misfires then a) it's probably the connections even though I've cleaned them, and b) I'm £450 more experienced :)

It's either them or the connections seeing as swapping them with known good ones has temporarily cured the misfire before...

-Ian

PS and I can always stop the misfire by dropping the boost down to 0.9bar (wastegate default) so it's deffo "spark strength" related...

I see and work on a LOT of MKIV's and have NEVER had to replace a coil pack on both none VVTi and VVti. Unlike on Skylines....

Thanks Chris.

Guess then if ignition troubleshooting is in store, one starts with plugs and ends with wiring....

When I upped the boost on mine, I got a misfire at high rpm nearly every time. After experimenting with different spark plug gaps and then the HKS equivalents I bought a new set of coil packs and that fixed it.

The car was 10 years old and had done 100,000 miles.