The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Wash Q

Guest faiz

I just use one of the rubber wiper blade thingies.

People say they scratch the paint, but they don't if you only use it on the wet bits (i.e.: if you dry a section and some water splashes onto it - DON'T try and re-wipe it!!!), and as long as you run your fingers along the blade before each wipe.

It's when it squeals that it scratches, and mine never does! Leaves a lovely shine with no water marks.

This:

http://www.ionicsystems.com/cars/index.html

Was worth £40 :D

As it was a small advert in the back of Autocar I was highly dubious but round Naaarwich the water is so hard you need a knife and fork to drink it. I was sick of taking 4 hours to wash the car, using the rubber blade wiper, chamois, panel-at-a-time method that was the only way to stop stalagmites appearing before my eyes. So I forked out forty quid or so for this inline water filter jobbie, figuring it was worth the chance.

The instructions actually tell you to use normal water for all the wash, keeping the car wet all the time, and then just rinse off with the filter in-line. And bugger me, it actually works. Seeing water on the car dry off without any staining at all was almost like magic taking place. Judging by the amount of colour change (the filter changes colour as it gets used up) it's good for about 8 or 9 washes, pretty much a year ;)

Cut a 3 hour car wash down to about eighty minutes :thumbs: And a whole lot less physical as well. Can't recommend it enough!

-Ian

I have got one and i think it works really well,the water in my area is really hard and when i use the auto dry it leaves no streaks at all.and i have a black car.It might pay to shop around i paid £19.99 for mine about four months ago but i have seen them for £24.00.when you first get it the water cartridge lasts for three washes but when you buy a new one for £4.99 it lasts for ten washes.

I just use one of the rubber wiper blade thingies.

People say they scratch the paint, but they don't if you only use it on the wet bits (i.e.: if you dry a section and some water splashes onto it - DON'T try and re-wipe it!!!), and as long as you run your fingers along the blade before each wipe.

It's when it squeals that it scratches, and mine never does! Leaves a lovely shine with no water marks.

i use one as well its an autoglym , but it squeeks like fxxx, havnt noticed any scratches

You'd think so wouldn't you? We have no external tap and the water sources within our flat are located at the rear of the property. We have no access at the rear!

The only remotely possible way of hooking up a hosepipe would be to connect it to a bath tap, take the hose out of the bathroom window and then throw it down the length of the building to our driveway because we have no access (legal or physical) down the side of our building.

Not really worth the hassle TBH.

What are peoples opinions on using a pressure washer for cleaning Supras? I was thinking of getting one.

Fine, used one for years. On my second Karcher one, as long as you don't hold the end of the nozzle an inch from paintwork and square on then it shouldn't damage unless your paint is shite.

Great for under the car and arches and superb on wheels. Watch you don't point close to tyres also.

Hold the spray at an angle to the bodywork about 12 inches away, glass is fine as you can spray right up close to remove flies.

I've got a painted lower bumper lip, painted fibreglass side skirts and these have suffered no damge at all using one.

Paul