The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bigger Twins

AntD

What is the biggest twin setup currently available?Also,will the sequential setup be lost when uprating to bigger twins?

I am very new to all this ,but do like the idea of upgrading to bigger twins some time in the future :rolleyes:

Hold on, is it REALLY running 1050bhp on big twins? I didn't think it was possible (thought it was Fast Car's bollocks talk like saying he had a 3JZ-GTE engine)

There are lots of Jap and Yank Supra's running 1000bhp+ on twins.

Was it TDi that managed to do a sequential set-up on some (small) HKS twins???

I dont think those turbos run in sequential mode. Isnt he using a HKS Twin Kit? Those run parallel so no better spool up in comparisson to a single.

na he says he doesnt like singles due to the low end lag etc so i would have thought it must spool up a dam sight better than a single.

My main concern with the big single atm is the potential problem with lag at lower revs.As I said before,I'm new to all this and the lag may not be that big an issue in the end cos so many Supra owners are changing over/contemplating changing to the big single setup.

I dont believe there will be any difference in lag. A good sized single will spool the same as twins for the same amount of HP.

I also saw some info about this seq. stuff with little HKS turbos but wasnt it a big dissapointment?

2x2835's = 6-700

2x3037's = 8-900

2x3540's = 1000+

2x3742's = 1200+

The lag issue is bollox imo...

6cylinders powering 1 turbo, getting every single pulse from the engine, using 1 highly efficient turbo is going to be better than 3cylinders to each highly efficent turbo. A turbo can only be built to certain tolerances, for arguments sake we'll say there is a 3% efficiency loss due to the turbine blades not being perfectly matched to the housing. 1 turbo has a 3% efficency loss...2turbo's have a 6% loss for the same power.

It is true that the smaller the wheels the faster they spin up which should favour the twins, but, by halving the engine at the same time you lose lots of potential.

Find a Dyno sheet for a 600BHP Single (T63-T67) and a pair of HKS 2835's and I'll bet the Single's onlie faster...

Oh and the twins will weigh more too affecting the power to weight ratio.

Twins are for bling...and for doubling your repair costs when they break.

EDIT - There is no aftermarket Sequential Twin System.

I also saw some info about this seq. stuff with little HKS turbos but wasnt it a big dissapointment?

The 2530 sequential system was a success, car was serviced by Tdi a while ago and is running fine. Cost of system vs max power gain wasn't a good equation. However the all around driveability was excellent.

Nobody wanted a big sequential system more than me, but no more, bring on the power!

If you want to see what 2835's with a decent fuel system can do, take a look at http://www.t04r.com there is a 823bhp graph there. each turbo is rated @ 450bhp. That web site is the best realistic review of the big turbo kits.

As far as low end pull goes, in the wet/grease you'll be glad of the modest power output below 3500rpm.

Fit an uprated valve spring kit and 264 cams - raise the rev limit to 8000 and you have a nice big 4000rpm power band, what else could you want?

I dont hear many "BIG" owners complaining about how their car drives!.

GO on, you know you want a big system :-)

The 2530 sequential system was a success, car was serviced by Tdi a while ago and is running fine. Cost of system vs max power gain wasn't a good equation. However the all around driveability was excellent.

Nobody wanted a big sequential system more than me, but no more, bring on the power!

If you want to see what 2835's with a decent fuel system can do, take a look at http://www.t04r.com there is a 823bhp graph there. each turbo is rated @ 450bhp. That web site is the best realistic review of the big turbo kits.

As far as low end pull goes, in the wet/grease you'll be glad of the modest power output below 3500rpm.

Fit an uprated valve spring kit and 264 cams - raise the rev limit to 8000 and you have a nice big 4000rpm power band, what else could you want?

I dont hear many "BIG" owners complaining about how their car drives!.

GO on, you know you want a big system :-)

How much did the 2530 set up cost?

Guest Usmann A

The lag issue is bollox imo...

6cylinders powering 1 turbo, getting every single pulse from the engine, using 1 highly efficient turbo is going to be better than 3cylinders to each highly efficent turbo. A turbo can only be built to certain tolerances, for arguments sake we'll say there is a 3% efficiency loss due to the turbine blades not being perfectly matched to the housing. 1 turbo has a 3% efficency loss...2turbo's have a 6% loss for the same power.

Alex, AFAIK all 6 cylinders dumping into one turbo, through a commom header actually smoothen out the pulses, whereas having seperated headers, using meduim sized ARs with split housings actaully spread the pulses and increace thier amplitutde, instead of having a constant push, the turbines get shoves off the pulses which increaces spoolup times.

That is why quite a few OEM 6s have twins turbos ...

But on the subject of bigger twins, it becomes into a factor whether the AR gets too big and thier is not enough exhaust energy to drive the turbine, this is where a lovely 3.4 litre motor(more lower end torque) and big twins would have a nice fat powerband. Which is what Leons has I presume ??

Anyway, I have a single cos its more bang for ya buck!! :D

..., the turbines get shoves off the pulses which increases spoolup times.

That is why quite a few OEM 6s have twins turbos ...

Increases or decreases?

My point was that for the extra weight and cost you won't gain anything you can actually notice.

Guest Usmann A

increaces in spool up times Alex.

I agree, but if funds allowed it would be nice to couple together some DBB small/medium turbined spilt pusled turbos sitting on nice long tubular headers,with proper wastegate control .. say like 2530s/40s ... with effiecnt intercooling,I would like to see when theyd make some boost on our lil torque'y engines ... and I dear say that power delivery would be oh so very linear ...

Guest chiefvinso

This was just the thing I was going to ask about. Once I get my car (just over two weeks) I will be looking soon afterwards for more power. Not knowing about bigger twins and if they were possible in sequential mode I was goingto ask you guys. Surely you could put bigger twins in sequential mode with the correct setup that would give you the same hp as bigger singles? The reason I ask is thatI went out in a twin turbo the other week (cheers Elliot) and the second turbo kicking in was awesome so I would like to do that with a bigger twins if at all possible.