The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single on a budget

chilli

Ok so please tell me this is what I need to go single on a budget? lol - it's a T4 based turbo kit for a nice price or so it seems - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72205&item=7987502992&rd=1

Once you have all the parts, does anyone know a rough price for installation and setup? anyone recommend somewhere/someone to do this work?

Ok so please tell me this is what I need to go single on a budget? lol - it's a T4 based turbo kit for a nice price or so it seems - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72205&item=7987502992&rd=1

Once you have all the parts, does anyone know a rough price for installation and setup? anyone recommend somewhere/someone to do this work?

Chilli - this is such a huge subject and there are loads of threads here on it to search and read up on

But, in principle, IMHO dont even think of going single 'on a budget' - Mr Toyota made a finely honed and superb machine that can be buggered up in moments without the right modifications.

You needs so much more then just the kit - loads of required engine management and upgrades to ensure that it runs properly

Why do you want to go single in the first place?

lol ok cheers, its probably wishful thinking on my part anyway. It was the price that made it seem within reach!

To be honest I love the virtually lagless sequential setup, I just with it could boost at more than 1.2 bar without risking a dead turbo or two (have j-spec turbo's)!

In reality, in terms of upgrades, I'm probably going to go for a big brake upgrade, a FMIC and maybe some cams to get the most out of what I have.

maybe for me the best thing would be some uprated (hybrid) turbos and keeping the sequential setup. I don't want to build a drag racer!

I'll do some reading of whats been said before on here, cheers!

i was lookin at a SP kit which is £3k-ish, then installation can be a couple of grand, mapping and additional parts e.g. may upgrade brakes to cope with a higher power etc. but also just incase any standard parts might been replacing due to wear and tear. it probably wouldn't cost £10k in total, but the main worry i'd have is runnin out of cash and bein stuck :eek:

Yeah I can see how it adds up, there are some cheap kits out there though, like the one I linked too. Shame the installation is so pricey, maybe I should learn to do that bit myself! (the installation at least, the mapping could be done by a pro).

I'd love to be able to retain the twin turbo set up, maybe for me I should try and get some rebuilt units (with bigger wastegates) and spend some of the remaining money on the things you also mention, bigger brakes etc as well as an FMIC and EBC. There's so much to do, still its all good fun and I'm really enjoying the car as is for the moment :) I just know I'll want to break that 1.2 bar limit at some point in the future!

I'm still at the stage where I'm thinking its still quite quick lol. Its running 1bar at the moment. Guess that feeling doesn't last forever though!

I've never had the pleasure of going out in a modded one, let alone a big single yet! Something to look forward to I'm sure!

There's a lot of similar kits out there, for instance a lot of BL kits and SP kits give similar results, depends what trim you go for etc. a lot of people use the BL kits on here Chilli, TRD3000GTs got a BL67 i think, Vortex all run them, CJ had one but blew it. Kevin Huntley's Envy car has got a SP turbo which is insane (there's an crappy in car clip somewhere on here). Jap Scene UK's got a Trust one i think. might be worth chattin to a few people with different kits to see what they think of them

Yeah good plan kopite, thanks for the advice. It's not something I'm going to rush into. I'll probably get the rest of the car ready before the big turbo upgrade. I'll do things like brakes and other things that I can do myself first, possibly including some cams to get the most out of the stock turbo setup in the short term.

Presumably if I fit an FMIC it should work both with the current stock turbo set up and also with a big single, I might just need some new pipework?

Cheers for the help, hopefully by the time I'm ready (car mods and financially) I will know enough to make a good, informed choice :)

Excellent, well it's all stuff to look forward too, once you get hooked who knows where it will end lol. Must remember that I was a fast road car though, not a drag racer lol

Any idea's where that clip is? wouldn't mind watching it

Yeah, I went for the BL Budget kit. It goes in for it's conversion next week and then it's booked in with Thor for it's mapping the week after.

When you were out in the Envy car, did you come across any other car that was in the "playing" mood ? :D

Clarkey, whats the damage for that BL budget kit and whats the extra for fitting and mapping by Thor, if you dont mind me asking. I'm just trying to gauge the price variations...

bet you're looking forward to getting the car back after that's all fitted!

Yeah, I went for the BL Budget kit. It goes in for it's conversion next week and then it's booked in with Thor for it's mapping the week after.

When you were out in the Envy car, did you come across any other car that was in the "playing" mood ? :D

unfortunately no :cry: it's creamed Porsche GT2s in the past and a lot of bikes but that was a lot closer (and before the rebuild) :D

chilli - clip was in THIS thread, hosted by Jake. think it's still workin

Clarkey, whats the damage for that BL budget kit and whats the extra for fitting and mapping by Thor, if you dont mind me asking. I'm just trying to gauge the price variations...

bet you're looking forward to getting the car back after that's all fitted!

Like said above, you may need additional kit if you haven't got it already.

My setup is:

BL T61 Budget kit = £1800

550cc injectors (2nd Hand) = £150

Flowtesting & cleaning injectors = £100

Turbo Blanket = £100

Resistor Pack = £80

Apexi S-AFC 2 (2nd hand) = £150

AEM Wide band O2 Gauge = £280

HKS SSQ BOV Alu Flange = £20

Fitting of everything = £1060

Mapping = £150 + all the Optimax.

I think I'll be able to boost to 1.2 - 1.3 Bar without maxxing out the injector cycle. Not sure, I'll need to speak to Terry for his advice on that.

For a full big single kit - add all that lot up and treble it.