The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrading to UK Brakes

garetheves

Done a quick search and cant find anything but point in the right direction if there is.

Basically im after a guide/FAQ for taking off J-Spec brakes and callipers and replacing with UK ones. THis will include callipers, pads, disks and hoses. If anyone has such a guide and can post it/send it me, it would be much appreciated. Gonna do this next weekend and want to research it properly first and make sure i have everything i need.

Also does anyone know where the best place to get Stainless Steel brake hoses and decent brake fluid from is.

Cheers in advance.

hi gaz

you can get dot 5.1 from halfords you will need a shed load of this to pump all the old stuff through i'de get at least 4 litres or even 5 (if you dont open it you can take it back) i found one of them non return valve one man bleeders really usefull even if there are 2 of you to do it, you need to start with the furthest caliper from the fluid reservoir and work your way in (passenger side rear) and do each one in turn with the hose disconected from the caliper, pump the fluid out till you can see the new stuff coming through make sure the reservoir dont run dry, then put your new caliper on, dont go mad tightening the union bolt up or you might strip it , and be scrupulously clean you dont want shit in the system then bleed through the nipple till you get no bubbles, then move on to the next caliper, get some copper slip for all the threads and put some on the back of the pads, anti squeal shims and pad retaining pins dont get any on the front of the pad or the disk, you will also need a good socket set and a copper mallet or hammer, jack the car up and for fecks sake use some axle stands for safety, any questions gaz you'll have to be quick as i'me off camping with the sprog tommorow

Im only doing the front brakes, do i still need to bleed all 4. If so in which order to i bleed them, and also do i bleed them before i fit the disks, callipers and pads, or after, just before i connect the llines to them?

Cheers Paul. Shame youre going away or i might bribe you with ale to come give me a hand :woot:

Im only doing the front brakes, do i still need to bleed all 4. If so in which order to i bleed them, and also do i bleed them before i fit the disks, callipers and pads, or after, just before i connect the llines to them?

Cheers Paul. Shame youre going away or i might bribe you with ale to come give me a hand :woot:

gaz i would bleed all 4 as you want to change the fluid right so if you did'nt bleed the rears half the system would have the old crap in and tother half the dot 5, dot 5 will not mix with older mineral based fluids so you have to get rid of the lot, so before you touch the fronts do the backs passenger side 1st then drivers, bleed the fluid out into a 2 litre coke bottle with the top chopped off until you see the colour change, when you have done this do the fronts (passenger side 1st) crack the union bolt off first (the bit the attachs the hose to caliper) but dont take it off, then take the caliper off 2x17mm socket bolts (these are tight you may need a few taps wit tammer) when its off then remove the hose (catch the fluid) again pump the new luid through, then put your new disk and caliper on and reconnect the hose and bleed through the nipple, for fecks sake dont let the reservouir run dry keep your eye on it, the beer sounded good mate but the daughter will not be best pleased if we cancell, i am presently consuming red wine at an alarming rate so if theres any more questions you better make em quick :thanku:

dont suppose theres anything wrong with changing just the front hoses, things to remember gaz keep it all spotless clean and think safe dont start twatting the car about on a scissor jack, put it on stands, take your time, see you at the next meet :)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I plan to do a UK 4 pot caliper and 320mm disk upgrade in the near future!

I've done a quick search and couldn't find the answer, so don't flame me if its been asked before (and I'm sure it has).

How much extra clearence do I need between the front caliper and wheel over the j-spec. My wheels are quite open 5 spoke so it's easy for me to go and measure the current clearence (looks like a few mm) and then knowing how much more you need I could see if they are going to fit.

I just watched a complete second hand UK spec brake kit go on ebay for £140 and am now kicking myself lol, but wanted to be sure they will fit before making a purchase.

Whats the deal with some wheel spacers if needed - are these considered to be ok if necessary or bad news?