The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vvti Tps Problem Recap

Ewen

Really despondent now....Still having random problems with Throttle (junctions / traffic lights / rndbts, revs go to 1000, warning lights on, no power...turn off then on and ok again). Happened again tonight in heavy traffic - total nightmare. My garage has replaced the TPS and more recently dismantled the throttle body and other bits and bobs (they say all looked very clean) - I thought it was sorted, but still its playing up. Ive seen many other threads connected to this and similar problems other than mine (thanks for the help so far guys) and it seems as though the common link is now the speed converter / delimiter on VVTIs ??? Thor named as saviour when theyve got their new one ready ??? Have I got the right end of the stick so far ?. Incidentally, the guys who used to SVA JIC cars have stated that some JIC VVTIs did have an issue with speed converters / delimiters (box was slightly bigger than a matchbox) but after recalling and fitting a new one (box slightly smaller than a cigarette box / six wires) no problems since. Im also going to go back to the standard air-box and filter (currently Blitz Sonic) just in case that straws worth clutching at.

the guys who used to SVA JIC cars have stated that some JIC VVTIs did have an issue with speed converters / delimiters (box was slightly bigger than a matchbox) but after recalling and fitting a new one (box slightly smaller than a cigarette box / six wires) no problems since.

Interesting. Mines a JIC car and has the little one (oh pooh), and a seperate SLD. I've not driven it much but it seems ok so far (touch head)

I met mine as a blind date in 2003 - JIC did the introductions - shes been sweet tempered yet forceful without a single moan of complaint for over a year, since then, shes had a mind of her own, changing up or not changing up at strange times and simply refusing to move at roundabouts if the mood takes her...is it possible shes had an anurism in her speed controller ? Ill replace it anyway as soon as Thor bring it on....its gotta help...after twelve toyotas inc. four Supes, some very long in the tooth as well, the only real problem Ive ever had has to be on the youngest, lowest mileage beatch Ive had yet...shes a brakin ma heart, but hey I love her to bits...I just want to make her better

will look for it and if brave enough remove it this weekend.....in which case Ill leave the Blitz Sonic fitted for now...Im assuming at this stage the converter is more likely a cause than the Blitz.........If Jakes right about the Thor fix not coming out, is there anyone else out there with a standard TT VVTI Tiptronic who hasnt had this problem and if so, whats the controller ?....maybe we can find a happy medium one

There is a way of setting up the TPS...I've not tried it yet, but you do have to calibrate it and not just plonk it on. I've only found this out in the last week and it requires a multimeter with a needle, so I'm going to try when I pop round my folks'.

From what I can gather from the pages of the manual I've seen you should move the tps on it's elongated screw holes till the needle of the multimeter deflects whilst you have the first two pins connected. I need to try it to fully make sense of it...I will post more when I know more - this weekend I hope.

Ewen - JIC cars were SVA'd @ Motormall in Kent. My VVTI tiptronic came direct from Motormall. Within a day I had problems that you could put it in gear but not pull away and the snow light would flash sounds like your type of problem? They changed my converter delimeter black box and no probs since in 3 years. Some of those black boxes are very poor quality. So theres no point in panicking the world is not ending :eyebrows:

My tip drives normally its only tendencey is to hold 3rd gear forever on WOT and as it does 130-150 leptons in third I dont find this much of a problem to lift a touch to hit 4th.

Hi Alex, good to know that the TPS is sensitive to installation - yet another clue - look fwd to your autopsy on this....

Hi Darren, Ive talked to Motormall before and they say there were problems with early VVTI controllers but arnt aware of problems since approx '03 / '04 when they changed the type they fitted - they 'cant' tell me the make - Ive had a random SNOW issue since I took her home in '03, but I lived with it (turned off the tract cont) but this current problem only for about 8 mths - I know Ive been a big girls blouse lately, but those who commute in Poole in the AM and PM will know what I mean - I know it wont kill me, but I dont want the Fister Mobile rear ended by a Trannie....

Hi Markie....are you VVTI ? Any idea what speed controller youve got ?

This is the thing.........is (my) specific problem VVTI cars in gen or is it VVTI Tiptronic cars only ? is there a host of speed converter problems out there anyway, not directly connected to 'traffic light problem' ?....Im going for a fag up stress hill

Hi Alex, good to know that the TPS is sensitive to installation - yet another clue - look fwd to your autopsy on this....

Hi Darren, Ive talked to Motormall before and they say there were problems with early VVTI controllers but arnt aware of problems since approx '03 / '04 when they changed the type they fitted - they 'cant' tell me the make - Ive had a random SNOW issue since I took her home in '03, but I lived with it (turned off the tract cont) but this current problem only for about 8 mths - I know Ive been a big girls blouse lately, but those who commute in Poole in the AM and PM will know what I mean - I know it wont kill me, but I dont want the Fister Mobile rear ended by a Trannie....

Hi Markie....are you VVTI ? Any idea what speed controller youve got ?

You could be unlucky and your box has a short or something in it etc... :shrug: