The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vvti Power ?

Ewen

Cant post in the FAQ section for some reason.....anyway, has the JDM TT VVTI GOT '25 bhp' more than a JDM TT non - VVTI ? JIC told me it had - if it has, and the power / revs have been re twigged higher up the rev range is this why there is so much forumming ref speed converters / delimiters going a bit chernobyl ?

No one seems to know for certain how much if any extra power the VVTi gives you. I've never seen a dyno comparison between 2 stock cars for example, although I saw Tim's VVTi pretty stock tipto make the same as you would expect from a non VVTi on the Thor dyno at Billing last year.

When I RR'd mine @ GForce with one CAT stil in it was 390 bhp and a simular figure for torque. This was considerably more than non VVTI TTs with the same specs. The VVTI seems to have improved torque through the rev range and its top end power is better....IMO

For the future plans for the next Fister Mobile then.........TT VVTI alledgedly has more power as standard ...and Ive already decided to go 6 spd next (what Ive read about auto boxes being stronger seem to be total Brighton according to the last half hours threads) BUT is the VVTI much harder to mod for big power ???.

For the future plans for the next Fister Mobile then.........TT VVTI alledgedly has more power as standard ...and Ive already decided to go 6 spd next (what Ive read about auto boxes being stronger seem to be total Brighton according to the last half hours threads) BUT is the VVTI much harder to mod for big power ???.

Ewen, speak to the guys at Vortex (see traders section) Terry S & Mig, are both very knowledgable/helpful and have a lot of experience when it comes to modding the VVTi I believe. Also members Ian C, TDAXGAV and Alex have VVTi's that they have modded and may be able to help with advice.

Do I take that as a 'yes dont think about it' or 'possibly too complicated for beginners'.

Try this....if I were to import a late model standard TT with the sole intention of modding it toward big power over a few years, would you suggest Id be better off with a non-VVTI ?

If you want massive power then there is no need to use a VVTi base car but you wouldn't have to worry if you did have one...it doesn't really matter, just some of the tools are different. For example, VVTi's don't need uprated cams till about 600Hp...but when you do fit them it's a bigger job, because you don't just fit cams you get a controller too. But then a non VVTi Supra would have needed cams at about the 450BHP mark...swings and round abouts.

Thats the only probs with VVTi's most of the tuning is the same as non VVTi's but once you get to a level of tune the VVTi rockets in cost due to the different parts needed its not dificult just more costly ..and some people rape the arse out of it .

Thats the only probs with VVTi's most of the tuning is the same as non VVTi's but once you get to a level of tune the VVTi rockets in cost due to the different parts needed its not dificult just more costly ..and some people rape the arse out of it .

Tell me about it... Im going to be doing A LOT more DIY.. Just had a £200 bill for fitting a wideband O2 kit... crazy price if you ask me!

£150 for timing belt + £100 for the kevlar belt

and some other bits and pieces

Good stuff guys.......so, auto or manual makes no real difference, and VVTI can be tuned to the max but then doing the same to a non-vvti may be easier / cheaper. Now all I need to do is start planning and saving.

Ta lots....Ill take the liberty of posting my wish list as and when Ive done some soul searching....case in point, I wont drive anything else if I can help it, so I either mod my current Supe and buy another Supe for day to day, or vice versa....Im almost sure of one thing tho, Id rather buy standard and mod as and when than buy modded from Japan....