The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ignition Timing?

Guest Jon358902

Guest Jon358902

I've been told my MKIV Import Supra 3.0 NA has fully electronic ignition timing. However, I can't help but notice the distributor is typically adjustable as an engine with a more simple ignition system would be. Can you alter the ignition timing and if so what should it be set to, it's doing 10 degrees with the strobe light atm. I'm speaking from a not quite so mechanically minded mouth to much more technical people here, so please try to bare with me. :drown:

I'm trying to solve some issues with not quite up to scratch performance.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

That's correct for the cam timing, and unless you have had the disi out of the head, or turned it after slackening the adjuster bolt, or swapped leads about, the ignition timing should also be OK. Once running it needs idealising with a timing light.

I am convinced your no start is the electronics inside the disi, or the igniter.

Thanks Chris distributor is the only thing I haven't checked or swapped now so I pray your right! I might try and get a third igniter to try too since I can do that myself.

Regards to the distributor would it be safe to install myself just to see if it starts and doesn't cut out then get someone out to set the timing?

Yes, you can swap the disi yourself. Keep the cap and leads you have now, turn engine to TDC with both cam pulley marks also in line with rear cover marks. Remove disi cap. Tipex a mark showing where the rotor arm is pointing. Also mark the head to disi alignment with a sharp implement. Remove old disi, note how rotor arm moves as you pull it out due to the helical gears. Fit new disi after similarly Tipex marking it and its rotor arm to match the old as best as you can. Get the rotor arm to line up exactly like the old one. You may have to pull it out a few times and turn it a tooth or two until it engages right. Then try and align disi body to head as near as possible as to how you had scribed the original. Replace cap and wiring, cross fingers and fire it up..... Have fun!