The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Top Gear mention of the Supra?

Ceptik

As like many others, im an avid fan of Top Gear. It brings that little bit of joy before the dawning of another work day arises. They've mentioned a lot of older sports/supercars over the years but i cant recall them doing a review on the Supra.

Have they done one? If not, does anyone think it'll be a good idea to write in and see if they can do review on it and maybe test it against cars of this day and era. Would be good to see it on the screen and also show those scooby's and evo's that there really is a bit of power under that bonnet!?

It was years ago now, when they did the review of the NSX. Started off with a clip of the Supra with Neons (urgh!!) and then they said "The Supra may be a super car, but it's not a supercar. It's just not special enough" or something like that.

Yea,

I think it would be great to get another review of our motors... Even what has happened to them since the enthusiasts have become involved.

In my head it would go something like this...

Last time we reviewed the supra was 10+ years ago. The car that was massively ahead of its time seems to be fitting in nicely with most modern sports cars and the enthusiasts have taken these cars to the next level.

Then we see a stock supra, have a look around with the presenter pan right to a seriously tuned monster, It cant have any graphics or crap paint.

We need a very classy looking Dawg with BHP numbers that will put a lot of the modern day supercars to shame!

Anyone want to pitch this idea? :blahblah:

Yea,

I think it would be great to get another review of our motors... Even what has happened to them since the enthusiasts have become involved.

In my head it would go something like this...

Last time we reviewed the supra was 10+ years ago. The car that was massively ahead of its time seems to be fitting in nicely with most modern sports cars and the enthusiasts have taken these cars to the next level.

Then we see a stock supra, have a look around with the presenter pan right to a seriously tuned monster, It cant have any graphics or crap paint.

We need a very classy looking Dawg with BHP numbers that will put a lot of the modern day supercars to shame!

Anyone want to pitch this idea? :blahblah:

That sounds like a plan! Who's got the most powerful supe on the site?

But in reality they'd just sit there slagging it off saying its a 2nd division footballers car :rolleyes: They have no concept of tuning really or desire to talk about it in that show. They cant even give credit where its due to some cars, for example the new Vette, slagging it off despite its as quick as a GT3 around the Ring and only costs ~$35k!!

You don't want the most powerful you want the most sorted street weapon, brakes, suspension, power and subtle clean styling/paint.

The example I would choose would be Terry's, not sure how far behind Chris's or Ian's would be though....Ian would probably say his was best cause J-Tuner's photographer chose it to be closest in the rolling shot for the magazine. ;)

They started doing a retro version of the cool wall, but I only saw it once last series and never again. It had about 8 cars on it and I was thinking that the Supra could make an appearance, but the idea seems to have disappeared.

They need more balance on that show - yes we want the modern stuff but they used to do a fair amount of history and classic cars from the past. That seems to have been missing from the last few shows.

I can see the mkiv4 getting mentioned on Top gear when the Mkv comes out. Clarkson hates the mkiv saying it looks like a 2nd division footballers car etc, so I am sure Clarkson won't miss out an opportunity to slag off the mkiv when he reviews the new one, which I am sure he will. My moneys on clarkson raving about the new mkv and slagging off the mkiv, watch this space.

In my personal opinion compared to other cars of its time the mkiv supra looks so much better. Look at the old bmw m3's now. They are really showing thier age whereas a mkiv supra still looks fresh and I still don't think theres a car on the road with better rear lights. Well maybe the maserati 3200 boomerang lights, but they have been replaced now because the americans don't like them. Damn yanks have no taste.

Supras must still be cool:

I had a guy in a brand new Carrera 4 pass me on the M25 the other day. He deliberately slowed down and pulled back alongside me just so he could give me the thumbs-up. Then he pulled away again - slowly.

I've emailed them before about other things and had no response.

Maybe if someone went on the show they could try and get a chat to someone in production.

Rob Oldham was on TG a few seasons ago. They took his supra on the track, but never showed it on tv. They were very impressed by the performance though! :)

Is the reason Clarkson slags it off justified?

He isn't afraid to sing the praises of the Impreza. Skyline, or Evo, due to their brilliant performance and amazing handling and balance etc whilst also saying he hates the apperance of all of them. (or at least doesn't like).

With the Supra, therefore, he must have an issue with the way the car drives, not just the way it looks.

I bet he claims, rightly or wrongly, like some others do, that the Supra cannot handle as well as other "supercars" and is therefore better suited to Drag races etc. (with its huge BHP).

Is the reason Clarkson slags it off justified?

He isn't afraid to sing the praises of the Impreza. Skyline, or Evo, due to their brilliant performance and amazing handling and balance etc whilst also saying he hates the apperance of all of them. (or at least doesn't like).

With the Supra, therefore, he must have an issue with the way the car drives, not just the way it looks.

I bet he claims, rightly or wrongly, like some others do, that the Supra cannot handle as well as other "supercars" and is therefore better suited to Drag races etc. (with its huge BHP).

He didn't like the 350z cause the standard stereo was too powerful....it really does seem to depend which way the wind is blowing for JC to come to a conclusion on a car...but once he's made his mind up that's it...

Quentin Wilson is the one that actually said it was for Medallion wearing chest wig brigade.