The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best oil to use for 94 N/A SZ-R?

Guest Tinners

Guest Tinners

Hey everyone!!!

Just got an SZ-R two weeks ago, absolutley love it! (take a look at the pic) and about to have a service done. (Think I can hear the moths fluttering in me wallet already!)

Anyone got any good suggestions on which oil type to use on a 94 N/A SZ-R?

Also - anyone know anything about Volk Racing VF3 18" rims? Need to know whether the lip on the rim is chrome or just polished alloy before I *carefully* attack it with wonderwheels!!!

Ta!

M

Guest Tinners

Hiya!! Good to hear from you!!

I was wrong on the alloys, they're actually AV3's - and I think looking around that they aren't chrome, but you're right - I'll definately wait for some advice on cleaning them proeprly before I ruin them!!!!!

Does your LSD click when pulling away sometimes (ie. if you pull away from standstill with the wheel turned)? Im hoping thats not a bad sign!!!

Apart from a few annoying rattles from the boot, the car's an absolute wonder!!!!! Love it to pieces!! Have you modded yours at all performance wise?

M

No clicking from my LSD (well not that I can hear over the exhaust).

Do a search on here for "boot rubbers" - get a new set from Toyota and all your boot rattles will be history.

Mine's lowered on Tein HR suspension with HKS intake, double decat (Chris Wilson's your man) and an RSR exhaust. Oh and a mashed up gearbox at the moment, so she's not going anywhere. :cry:

:looney:

Another silver SZ owner - Welcome again. Hoping someone would have answered the Oil question though, Im about to do mine and having scoured the threads and asked one of the dealers he said his best oil was Silkolene 5/40 ?????

Im sure I read somewhere that 5/40 was a bit too thin??? Im going to opt for the silkolene but isnt a bit thicker recommended???

Any better ideas...

Thanks all

Guest Tinners

Hiya,

Yea - went for the 5/40 in the end. Went up to JAE in Peterborough at the weekend, and the guy on the trade stand recommended Silkolene.

35 quid for 5 litres I think it was?

Lust2Luv - Info on boot much appreciated!!! Will be at the top of my shopping list now so I can get that annoying rattle sorted. Its almost as bad as someone rubbing two polystyrene blocks together!!!!

Also - Just invested in an octane booster to boost 95 RON to 100. Anyone know if that was a wise purchase? It is apparently guaranteed, just thought that if I'm sticking 60 quids worth of Optimax in a pop, then could sav e a 5'er a time? Hiope it works is all I can say!

Cheers everyone!

M

Cheers all!!

These are what you need to change:

Link

They are a PITA to get off though - lots of advice on here how to do it, search for "boot rubbers" (I did it the easy way and got someone else to do it!)

That octane booster sounds like snake oil. I've used Millers octane booster before (CVL I think it was) for drag events, but wouldn't have thought it worked out cheaper than buying SUL or Optimax in the first place.

:looney:

Guest Tinners

The octane booster's actually an in-line booster - like some funny cylindery thingy with metal inside, apparently proven to boost standard 95 octane fuel to 100 RON, and works for 100k. Was ab out 50 quid (show price), so I figured it might be cheaper than the extra 5'er that I pay in optimax everytime!!!!

Cheers for the info on boot rubbers, its really appreciated!!!!

All the best!

M

Hiya,

Lust2Luv - Info on boot much appreciated!!! Will be at the top of my shopping list now so I can get that annoying rattle sorted. Its almost as bad as someone rubbing two polystyrene blocks together!!!

A quick fix, is to get some number plate mounting pads, they are 6mm thick, made of soft material and are double sided with adhesive, cut them to shape and stick them on the boot rubbers. Cheap and easy fix - as the boot rubbers dry up over time and become hard and brittle, hence why your tailgate rattles. Also if you do a search on fitting boot rubbers, they are difficult to fit because 9/10 times the screws will not come out!

I have fixed mine in the above way and have not had any problems! Rememeber this is not a shopping car, so you will be in the boot less!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

In reply to all the oil questions I currently run my NA Supra on Duckhams semi synthetic 10/40

Thinner or spaecial oils may be need in a TT but that is a totally different case as its more powerful and runs a higher temps etc no comparison to the NA.

I reckon anything thinner than 10/40 and you will burn it, mine does use a very small amount of oil but nothing even worth bothering about ( my bosses Audi did 1 litre per 1000 miles)

But if driven hard I put in say less than 1/4 litre or less in a month I get no top end rattle on start up either and its done about 65k miles

Fuel on a NA Supra

Now this is amusing

The fuel i use normal 95 RON, Why are you wasting your money on Optimax if you haven't got a Turbo!!! :thumbdown

All JapTurbo cars have to run on 100 RON minimum as standard in Japan.

The best we have in UK is 98 RON which is why Jap TT Supras need a booster, or better still a re-map or ECU change or you are no where even close to your 280BHP (Gentlemans agrrement) figure, those figures are quoted on 100 RON in Japan,

Maybe a different case with a UK Spec TT as they are set up for 98 RON fuel

Scoobies (impretza ) in Jap spec are borderline blow up over here as you must run them on nothing lower than 100 RON minimum or melt down as soon as you open them up Even boosters are not reliale which is why most owners have them re-mapped and a Motec ECU fitted

But on a NA Supra

This is a total pointless venture using optimax, you will see little if nothing in power gains.. its all in YOUR mind.

I had a FTO before and that was a very clever car it adjusted its self to use either 95 or 98 again no power difference as well as a self learning gearbox that has its own brain( very clever car)

My other car is a RX8 again its non turbo and its a Rotory and it runs on 95 RON, as stated by Mazda, or I can put 98 RON in it, again no difference,

in Japan it uses 100 RON as thats all they have.

So moto is.. save your money... spend it on some nice mods instead of wasting it on fuel which it drinks and costs a bl++dy fortune here in Rip off UK as it is :drown: .