The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Saxos and FWD can kick Supra ass around the Nuremburgring

hadyn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think both sides have points, and 0-60 times are useless on track racing, and its about keeping the speed up around corners, not stopping and starting.

FWD cars do make good track weapons and they're a lot safer to push around the corners than a RWD car which could break loose if you push too hard... not as much fun tho ;)

I doubt the ass kicking tho :)

On shear laptimes you will gain more time round the track through more grip than more power...

Tyres, brakes and suspension should be the priorities of anyone looking to lap quickly. And the right powerband for the gearing/track.

outright power can help obviously, by getting you out of the corner and down to the next one faster...but it won't help more than the others.

I think you were just having fun winding them up weren't you?

Everyone knows a cars performance is measured in many ways. That's what competitions like TOTB are all about. Different conditions, different setups (suspension, gearing yada yada)

I'd say in general 30-70 performance is more interesting than 0-60. For city use brakes and handling are more important than raw power. It's all about the environment you want to play in.

not as well as DTM though...

They're totally different spec racing series.

His biggest advantage would be how light his car weighs, he could stop in less time as it'll be easier to scrub speed off a small car, plus he can chuck it around corners nicely.

I think think a well driven RWD car should out perform a FWD one, with a decent driver behind the wheel.

I think the problem is this guy may have took offence to you joking about his Saxo and commenting about its straight line performance... then after it seemd to turn into a slaggin match getting neither of you anywhere.

They're totally different spec racing series.

I know mate but it was the closest RWD series i could think of at the time...

to be fair some of the fastest cars going round the ring when i was there were golfs. although i think that has a fair amount to do with driver experience and the fact that the drivers dont care if they trash them. :p

one thing i will say is i doubt very much a saxo has the potential to handle better than a supra could. the supra is a car designed to go fast, a saxo is a car designed to go shopping...

to be fair some of the fastest cars going round the ring when i was there were golfs. although i think that has a fair amount to do with driver experience and the fact that the drivers dont care if they trash them. :p

one thing i will say is i doubt very much a saxo has the potential to handle better than a supra could. the supra is a car designed to go fast, a saxo is a car designed to go shopping...

Agreed :)

Interesting bit of bollocks:

anyway 0-60 and 1/4 mile times don't mean shit for on road performance, take a saxo VTS and BMW E46 325i for example, the BMW has a quicker 0-60 and a slightly higher top speed, the reason it is quicker 0-60 is because it has a lot more traction off the line, if you do a rolling start the cars are level until well over 100 mph, also remember power/weight should be calculated using the @wheels bhp otherwise it's incorrect the bmw transmission loss is 35-40% whereas the VTS is around 20% loss. i could bollock on for ages but noone would care.

-------------------------

I can't help but feel that if a BMW lost 30-40% of it's power through the tranny, a few enginners in Munich would be hung by the scrotum in the public square.

Why bother argueing with people who drive Saxo's? They clearly know nothing of cars so I wouldn't bother spending time on a forum thats got them spouting off on, just be smug in the knowledge only they and there scutty mates love there crappy little shopping trolly's :) View the ban as a blessing :innocent: Aaaah thats better!

Having owned a saxo Vts before the supra i have to say the saxo would hold its against the supra on a small tight circuit but something like nurburgring with lots of straights and fast corners it would be eaten alive.

I think that 0 - 60 mph is a bit pointless and is just for pub talk, in gear acceleration is more important and a better gauge of power IMHO would be 30 - 50mph or 50 - 70 mph or for the supra 70 mph + :innocent:

Why have they totally banned you? because you mentioned the thread and linked it from this Forum??

What, do they just want a world of peace and harmony with no conflicting views? I thinks its what makes this forum interesting? Its good to have the occaisional shit stirrers!! :nyah:

Now...can anyone thinks who they might be on here? :p

Anyone? :D