The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra tuning for top speed

chilli

Hi all, I got into a bit of a forum discussion today about just how hard it is to make a supra go 200mph. Now I'm not claiming its "easy", but definitely possible with reasonable mods.

Has anyone got any experience of this, anyone want to hazard a guess as to the bhp required for say a manual to reach 200mph.

I'm assuming that for top speed runs only, removing the rear spoiler is a major benefit :)

It’s a bit academic but interesting, and if its harder than I thought then I'd like to know for future reference...

It might be interesting to try it out with tuning on GT4, it's only a game but if the physics is modelled correctly it should give a reasonable indication I guess.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, as much as 800rwhp? Blimey that is a lot!

Since the stock car can top 170, probably nearer 180 in good shape, and the Jun supra does 249 at 1200 bhp, and since wind resistance is something like a cubed function of speed (IIRC) I would have (intuitively) thought that it was considerably less than this. i.e.

175 (say) at 320 bhp

249 at 1200 bhp

For me, a total guess would have been say 600 bhp, that’s nearly double the stock power after all.

I'm intrigued as to how it all stacks up (and hence the post) - maybe I've got my facts wrong somewhere, cheers, L

196mph, oh that’s close enough, can't you just raise the red line slightly for the 200mph dash ;) lol - oh wait, or fit slightly bigger wheels/tyres, its only 2% after all :)

550-600bhp makes a lot more sense to me, still big bhp but it’s not unrealistic,

cheers dude, L

Toyota claim that the UK/US spec can reach 180 without the 155mph limiter, given enough room to stretch its legs.

(Can't see why they'd overstate it, since it's not part of their advertising blurb.)

Surely one can get the extra 20mph without needing to double the horsepower.

We could get these extra 20mph on turbo bikes (180-200) without doubling bhp, and the Cd of a bike is horrendous compared to that of a Supra.

My car hit 194 before i got a panic attack about losing my stout bonnet. Verified by my GPS system (that as far as i know is correct) unlike speedos that go way out at that speed.

I Have a TRD diff and 18", dont know if this helps get a couple of mph quicker or not.

It was on a proper runway, clear day probably a 5-10mph cross / tail wind :stickpoke.

0.32 bad? what are you driving a banana?

John A has hit it on the head with std top speed with the USA car. Toyota UK claimed 185mph on BBC evening news when the car was announced. I have bounced the autobahn at the std rev limiter in 6th with hybrids/fmic/twin decat/exh/264cams on 100 octance fuel on 18" wheels. What speed that was exactly, i'll leave to your own estimates, we had sat nav and a blitz power meter running giving us speed readouts,

so we have our own ideas.

I'd be very surprised if you were not @ 200mph with 500bhp+ and your rev limiter up 500rpm. ON std wheels the car is geared @ 27.5 mph approx, add 2% and you get 28.05 multiply by 7.2 = 201.9mph. Std car actually cuts "about" 6800rpm. So there you get some some decent HP and raise the limit slightly.

There are many skeptics of Supra top speed, most have never gone over 155mph lol.

Thanks Alex, hmmm I know what I need when I go single lol :)

I wonder what the rear spoiler robs in terms of top speed. I imagine big ones probably kill quite a few mph!

FYI we removed ours (TRD) at RAF Woodbridge and gained 4 m.p.h.

Excellent info chaps :) makes for interesting reading.

I was sure that 200mph shouldn't be difficult, especially since as you say, circa 180 is acheivable on the stock car (with restrictor removed) - it didn't seem right that doubling (or more than doubling) the bhp was required for 200mph, even considering the cubed law of wind resistance.

IIRC the cars CD is .33 with a rear spoiler and .30 without, although it could be .32 with, I don't know how accurate these figures would be anyway, call it .325 with a spoiler lol

I don't see raising the stock rev limiter as a major mod, its not be many rpm's after all.

>My car hit 194 before i got a panic attack about losing my stout bonnet.

So Neo1, what state of tune was your car in? Was it still accellerating at 194?

Excellent info chaps :) makes for interesting reading.

I was sure that 200mph shouldn't be difficult, especially since as you say, circa 180 is acheivable on the stock car (with restrictor removed) - it didn't seem right that doubling (or more than doubling) the bhp was required for 200mph, even considering the cubed law of wind resistance.

IIRC the cars CD is .33 with a rear spoiler and .30 without, although it could be .32 with, I don't know how accurate these figures would be anyway, call it .325 with a spoiler lol

I don't see raising the stock rev limiter as a major mod, its not be many rpm's after all.

>My car hit 194 before i got a panic attack about losing my stout bonnet.

So Neo1, what state of tune was your car in? Was it still accellerating at 194?

@194 mph.... I wouldnt call it accellerating so much as just about creeping.... you need a lot of raod at that speed.