The mkiv Supra Owners Club

yO-new Supra or Nissan

Guest Nirvana9

Guest Nirvana9

I know you guys are biased minded for the supra (go supra) but to the point- i was thinking of getting a supra. Anyway question 1

supra twinturbo vs 300zx twinturbo - race=? who would smoke who?

Pros/Cons?

Efficient Mods?

thnx, im just getting into this supra and i just need to know those. thnx

Supra is easier to mod, more reliable, faster, muscular looking.

The 300ZX is prettier to some...

Basiacally the Supra is better all IMO. It was developed to trounce the 300ZX and it does the job. I've raced round the Indy track at Silverstone up against them....and just flew past them.

But yeah we'll probably look biased.

I'm not as biased, cos I wanted a 300ZX TT for about a year when I thought I'd never afford a Supra TT.

In the end I realised they were a third of the price for good reason - they're nothing like as fast from/to any speed, the inside is truely hideous, and they're a royal PITA to get serviced (IIRC Nissan qoute anything up to £2k for a cambelt change (every 60k miles), as the engine has to come out(!) - obviously independant specailists will do it cheaper, but it's still a costly job and PITA (hence price dip and lots of availability on 300ZXs approaching 60k & 120k miles). Also I formed the opinion that they're not as reliable and parts cost a lot more - oh, and if the 4 wheel steer thing goes wrong it's a £2k job to get it fixed, but some people found it doesn't ever work right again once it's broken :-/

IIRC I used to look on http://www.zedworld.co.uk/ for lots of info - tacky looking site but the chap really knew his stuff. HTH! :)

Well most of us don't know much about 300ZXs and we're not here to convince you to buy a Supra.

From what I can tell, a lot of the 300ZX guys think their cars are better looking than a Supra but apart from that the Supra wins in every respect I can think of. Personally I prefer the Supra's looks over the 300ZX but it's just my opinion. YMMV

A stock Supra would beat a stock 300zx in a drag race. Once the cars are BPU the difference would only get bigger.

BTW,

Where is "md"? You're a Merkin, right?

I investigated 300ZXs closely mate, and decided to give them a miss. It's no patch on the SupraTT, despite being low and sexy.

The engine bay is smaller and even more cramped, so heat-related issues rear their head all the time. Rubber hoses and electrical bits crack and decay all the time. ECU looms need changing at some stage.

The 4WS is a gimmick, I could feel no difference whatsoever - but replacing broken bits won't be fun.

Traction is also an issue, when modded a bit they can't keep their rear tyres to the road. The Supra is much better in that respect.

The Supra is certainly no Nova, but it's even lighter than the Zed (I think)

But overall I think it's the tightness of the engine bay that is the downfall. You need to get the engine out for a lot of work that normally you wouldn't expect to.

Perhaps if you can find a very late one it may still have some life left in it.

Well most ...........

A stock Supra would beat a stock 300zx in a drag race. Once the cars are BPU the difference would only get bigger.

BTW,

Where is "md"? You're a Merkin, right?

Yup...I raced a 300zx when my supe was stock. We did a few races, beat him everytime.

Guest ya5een

FPMSL not here to cause an argument guys, I like both the Supra and the 300ZX but I own the former (a SWB TwinTurbo Slicktop) and I come on here every now and then to read up. Most of the comments about the 300ZX here are just opinion but some of the comments are mis-informed.

In the end I realised they were a third of the price for good reason - they're nothing like as fast from/to any speed

I’ve never had the pleasure of racing a Supra so I’m not going to try and say the 300 is faster :shrug: . One thing you have to remember though is the 300 is older and was produced to beat the mk3 supra (which it wiped the floor with).

and they're a royal PITA to get serviced (IIRC Nissan qoute anything up to £2k for a cambelt change (every 60k miles), as the engine has to come out(!) -

No the engine doesn’t have to come out, don’t be ridiculous! :banghead:

One of the club traders will do a 60k for £400 IIRC. I’m a complete novice at doing jobs on the car and yet I still managed to do it myself.

Also I formed the opinion that they're not as reliable and parts cost a lot more

They are as reliable as any 14-15 year old sports car, if they are well looked after your laughing, if you buy a dog…..

oh, and if the 4 wheel steer thing goes wrong it's a £2k job to get it fixed, but some people found it doesn't ever work right again once it's broken

if your HICAS goes wrong you don’t fix it, you buy an eliminator for £150 and junk the lot to save weight and improve the handling. A 15 year old 4 wheel steer system dsnt quite work as well as the day it rolled of the production line, its pretty vague.

IIRC I used to look on http://www.zedworld.co.uk/ for lots of info - tacky looking site but the chap really knew his stuff. HTH! :)

Jeff definitely knows his stuff. Very knowledgeable.

The engine bay is smaller and even more cramped, so heat-related issues rear their head all the time. Rubber hoses and electrical bits crack and decay all the time.

True, the V6 layout doesn’t do it any favours when it comes to space.

ECU looms need changing at some stage.

Not True

The 4WS is a gimmick, I could feel no difference whatsoever

There is a very noticeable difference, you should see the video of the rear wheels in self-diagnostic mode, its surprising how much they actually move.

And finally, looks… well I challenge you to find a stock supra that looks better than mine (no wise cracks about the wheels not being stock) :p

Over and out

Yas :run:

I’ve never had the pleasure of racing a Supra so I’m not going to try and say the 300 is faster :shrug: . One thing you have to remember though is the 300 is older and was produced to beat the mk3 supra (which it wiped the floor with).

Didn't realise that, but I'm not surprised it beats the mkIII - it's over 100bhp down on the mkivTT. :)

Check out this site for basic stock performance comparision.

No the engine doesn’t have to come out, don’t be ridiculous! :banghead: ....etc etc....

Just saying it as I read it when I was looking to buy one - thanks for correcting me if that's true. :)

Worth reading owners opinions such as this though - expensive to repair, bad once things start to go wrong....

see here

I so like the looks of a 300ZX but their not a patch on a Supra - they are starting to look quite dated for a start and the steering wheel it's so hideous I personally couldn't buy a ZX for fear of having to touch it's uglyness :scare: ;)

Nice example you've got there tho. :)

Not True

Not true if you want to be continously troubleshooting intermitent faults :drown:

True if you realise that the loom is fried inside and decide to take the plunge and change it. :(

There is a very noticeable difference, you should see the video of the rear wheels in self-diagnostic mode, its surprising how much they actually move.

Then I guess the ones I drove had the system not working properly, which just means even more money.

I like the 300ZX a lot, in black or titanium I think it looks the dog's dangles.

Guest ya5een
Worth reading owners opinions such as this though - expensive to repair, bad once things start to go wrong....

True, but then it all depends on the circumstances. Most owners are unaware of clubs/forums like this and ours and so they go pay ridiculous amounts to the Nissan Mainstealer for parts you could easily source second hand or in some cases brand new for almost half the price. And then they go and pay a garage who doesn’t have a clue about the car to fix one thing and cock up something else in the process.

Don’t even get me started on some club traders who sell performance parts… Grrr… :swear:

I buy all my stuff from the states, cut out the middle men and save ££££s!!! Just feel sorry for the poor guys who fall for all the sales patter and get duped into paying over the odds. :(

The price of 300s is rock bottom at the moment because of huge number of imports and so many of them are piles of shit. If you are unlucky enough to end up with a dog you could spend thousands and still not have it sorted.

When I bought my first 300 it was because of the rare factor, I’d see one every couple of months. Now every tom, dick and harry drives one and when I totalled the old zed I didn’t want to go back even though I absolutely loved it (because they are becoming so common). I only fell for my current car because the specific model is so rare.

I so like the looks of a 300ZX but their not a patch on a Supra - they are starting to look quite dated for a start and the steering wheel it's so hideous I personally couldn't buy a ZX for fear of having to touch it's uglyness :scare: ;)

What’s wrong with the steering wheel??? :nyah: I’m a bit of a fan of the stock wheel, I don’t think I’ll ever find an aftermarket one I like.

Nice example you've got there tho. :)

Thanks, I wouldn’t sell for a penny less then £10k but then it is as rare as rocking horse sh1t and does come with a few extras ;)

Its a car for life :love:

Well coming from owning several 300zx's and more recently owning a supra i have quite a good alround view on things so here goes.

If you want a car for the looks then it has to be a 300zx IMHO

If you want a fast car which is built better and more reliable then go for the supra.

Both cars can be tuned, the supra is easier as quite simply its easier to work on so theres more people tuning them and the parts are cheaper but if you have the time and effort you can tune the 300zx very well and to be honest in standard mode theres not much between them performance wise and when you add bits on ie filter, boost increase you can get either of them to 350+RWHP

The only real way to decide is drive them both and see which you prefer...easy!!

Mike

my 2 pennies worth...

value for money you can't get better than a 300zx. You get sooo much of a car for what £6k ? but if money wasn't an issue then a supra wins hands down in my opinion.

"In 1990, the 300ZX was the most advanced and complicated sports car Nissan had ever built. It was gimmicky, but all the advanced technology was there for a reason-to enable it to compete on equal terms with the rest of the world."

"The current Supra is introduced two years later than planned. Extra time was needed to build a car to outperform the Nissan 300ZX."

- quotes from SUPER CARS high-performance machines. - my bible

Guest ya5een
Oh red and shiney :)

Sod what they run like, it looks nice parked there outside your house :)

Like an ornament ;)

it has been an ornament for the past year, doing 300 miles a week means i'd be stupid to use that instead of the cheap runaround (£30 in the banger, £70+ in the Z)