The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uk v J spec stock suspension

blert596

Hi,

I'm currently lookig into changing my stock (I think) Jap suspension over to UK suspension, and am interested in finding out the opinion of anyone who's had it done, before I lay out all the cash.

My ride at the moment is on the verge of bone shattering with cats eyes and any minor road imperfection making me feel like I've fell down the stairs. passengers are actually shocked at how bad the bumping (and the noise of it) is.

I've got a price for replacement IK shocks and springs, but if anyone has tried the changeover and give me their impressions it would be appreciated. I'm not looking for a racing set up as the only time I really give it some is on the Mways.

Or is there a better aftermarket solution that people recommend for a comfortable ride?

Cheers

Billy

Firstly you should check if you have stock Jap springs and dampers. Many J-specs come with the yellow bilstein dampers which are a bit harder than the 'black' ones.

In my experience a car with stock jap springs and bilsteins is fairly hard, but by no mean bone jarring, this may suggest that you have either aftermarket kit or your the rest of your suspension needs looking at.

The UK setup is certainly softer than the Jap one, much more comfortable and gives a nice ride. However switching to these springs and shocks might just end up with you hiding the “real” problem with your car – e.g. worn bushes, dampers, track rods, etc...

I suggested Chris Wilson's suspension to Billy, is there someone on here that has it fitted that can give a good description of the ride quality?

WOW :ecstatic: :trophy: :notworthy

I found my 80k mile UK suspension good, comfortable and gives a nice ride but, had too much body roll for me so, went for CW's.

Thanks for the comments. I dont suppose theres any Glasgow/Edinburgh based owners that have J Spec OR UK suspension fitted is there, as I'm sure mine cant be right. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to. Would be good to meet up with someone to see what theirs is like in comparison.

Edit: Tyre sizes are: F 235/40, R 265/35 18"

Cheers

Billy