The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Leak and Warning light - :(

TimH

Ok, I'm not having a good run of luck recently.... I drove about 150 miles yesterday and could not get her to travel at 80mph without the boost guage reading 0 or just below, I am fairly sure I should be able to cruise without any turbo pressure negative or positive, maybe someone could confirm this? This seems to have resulted in her drinking fuel at a rate of knots!!!

Today, set off to zoo with the crew (it's only 20 miles away) and just as I am getting towards the zoo the warning light comes on, then 10 seconds later the oil light comes on. I pull over, let her rest for a short while (i know should have let the oil all drain back out of engine) and checked oil. Was suprised to see her at the minimum oil level, she had an oil change on Friday last week and still had some oil, so topped it up and abandoned zoo idea to get home.

Just before I departed though I noticed oil dripping out underneath, not a small amount, on the right hand side of the engine as you look at the engine. Glad to say I have got her home but was dripping oil for 30 mins after I got back. It seems to be under the oil filter but oil filter seems to be dry!

I can't get under to have a proper look, but was just wondering, what else is in the general vicinity of the oil filter that could be allowing oil to escape? It only seems to do it when engine is running or for a while after I switch engine off!

Oh, I have checked oil and it seems to be full, I could have over-filled it when I panicked earlier, I will drain some out before driving again.... I learn't a lesson today, be calm and wait before testing the oil level :rolleyes:

Oil leaks like that will only show up when the engine is running and the oil system is pressurised, so that's to be expected. If you've just changed the filter I would check it's done up tight enough, not cross threaded and has a good seal etc.

Just checked and there was oil on the filter, but it was done up tight enough, however there seemed to be more oil ABOVE the oil filter than actually on it...... are there any oil seals that may have gone which would be located above said oil filter?

Ok, just went out to just turn engine over and can see (not really from where) oil being PUMPED out of the system, looked by my left passenger side wheel and there is a black stream of oil, checked oil level and it is now half empty............ Anyone any advice, does this sound really bad? :help:

Edit, mechanic put in brand new millers 10w60 fully synth on Friday, the filter appears not to be leaking at all, it seems to be further over (under throttle body maybe bit further)

:thanks: I'm not driving her anywhere, she is staying put until I can diagnose the problem. The garage who did the oil change are going to have a look tomorrow, I so hope it's a nice easy one...... Someone mentioned a cracked block, but in all seriousness wouldn't have ALL the oil drained out by now if that was the case (not just when it was under pressure???).

I love my Supra, but she has tested my patience today :eek:

Oil pressure switch is a good place to start, if you can get front up on axle stands and remove the passenger side wheel you should be able to see where its coming from. When it starts to leak from the switch it pisses out or at least mine did and that started after an oil change!! Good luck.

Oil pressure switch is a good place to start, if you can get front up on axle stands and remove the passenger side wheel you should be able to see where its coming from. When it starts to leak from the switch it pisses out or at least mine did and that started after an oil change!! Good luck.

Cheers mate, you just made me feel a damn site better than i was :thumbs: