The mkiv Supra Owners Club

IT Help - Hard Drive

Nic

EDIT: :oops: sorry wrong section

I'm not having much luck computer wise at the moment. Went to re-fit my Hard Drive and bent a pin on the connector, tried to straighten it, but managed to snap it in half. So I have a HD with loads of stuff on it that I cannot access.

This is probably a slim chance, but I don't suppose anyone has or could get a replacemnt card that would fit the following HD? I really need it ASAP, I'll also try support desk here on Monday.

Hitachi Deskstar Model: IC35L180AVV207-1 / 185.2GB :thanks:

CIMG0013.JPG

Guest ingleby

have you tried to plug it in regardless? Also your best bet is to buy another "damaged" drive on ebay and then take out the IDE part and solder it to the existing drive but either way there is a 50/50 chance its dead or you will mess it up as its not easy.

have you tried to plug it in regardless?

Yes tried this, fitted it in a separate hard case, the disc spins up and the light flashes as though communication is being made but the hard drive does not show up on my desktop (Mac.) If I go into Norton Disk Doctor, it shows the harddrive, so it's there but just not mounted.

Monkey I've tried to solder the pin back together but could get to it, I might have a go at cutting away some of the plastic and try again...... now where did I put the really BIG hammer :looney:

Did what you suggest Monkey, then hooked it up again and it just flashed away for 10 minutes, then all of a sudden the HD appeared on the desktop :thumbs:

I don't think I'm going to be able to boot up off it, but at least I can access my data. I'll contact the support desk and see how much a new card is on Monday.

Cheers for the help guys :thanks:

think they were the hard drives my mate used to refer to as DEATHSTAR as they were very unreliable.
You're thinking of the infamous IBM DeskStar ("DeathStar") range of appaulingly unreliable hard drives. I will never buy another IBM product after the hassle I had with my DeathStar.

EDIT: :oops: sorry wrong section

I'm not having much luck computer wise at the moment. Went to re-fit my Hard Drive and bent a pin on the connector, tried to straighten it, but managed to snap it in half. So I have a HD with loads of stuff on it that I cannot access.

This is probably a slim chance, but I don't suppose anyone has or could get a replacemnt card that would fit the following HD? I really need it ASAP, I'll also try support desk here on Monday.

Hitachi Deskstar Model: IC35L180AVV207-1 / 185.2GB :thanks:

I did exactly the same and managed to fix it. BUT it will also invalidate your warranty.

I had some pin headers (the ones xbox chips mount on) with the long gold pins, so I pulled on of them out of the pin header plastic holder.

I desoldered the pin on the controller card (just heat it with a low wattage soldering iron) and pull the remains through the hole with tweezers.

Then took the long pin from the pin header and manouevered it through the hole so it was placed on top of where the old bent pin was soldered to, then soldered it to make a connection where the old pin was located. You have to be careful, but it does work - its currently sitting in my server PC working away!

EDIT: DOH! Trust me to post without reading the entire thread :D Glad you got it fixed!!