The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrids on a UK Spec

attilauk

OK i have done a bit of searching but the only info i can find on hybrids is for J Spec cars, i was just wondering what supporting mods would i need to run a set of hybrids on my stock (apart from exhaust) uk car?

could i just fit them to my car and add supporting mods as i want to turn the boost up or will i need extra bits and bobs to safely run them?

im asking as chiefgroover will have some for sale pretty soon that im interested in.

any advice would be greatfully recieved :thumbs:

Uk specs have a fuel pump more than upto the job...the injectors are fine too...

All I'd recommend is that you have a good condition IC (which you've said above) and that you get a fuel computer in to adjust the fueling and a WB02 to monitor your AFR's. UK's seem to run very rich so you might not need to trim the fueling up too much, if at all.

But I'm also not sure if the effort will be worth it?

It's a LOT of effort to get the sequential kit off and back on...especially if you can't afford to break anything.

The Hybrids are still limited by the same exhaust housings as your standard turbo's and a UK spec can make a healthy 400+ with all the BPU mods...Hybrids will max out at 470-500 (crank HP)...and you're going to add EGT's...

It's entirely your choice. You should be able to just bolt them in and enjoy them, no real mapping time. So I guess there is a benefit there, but second hand Hybrids are not necessarily going to last better or give more power then good condition UK spec's.

If you do go for them, try to concentrate on keeping the intake air temps down. Personally I think you should use a CW SMIC and if you have a cone filter it's time to box it in and give it a good cold air feed. Doing this will protect against high EGT's.

Also keep in mind that the term 'hybrid' is used rather loosely in these cases. It just means 'off-standard', nothing more.

Decent remanufacturers would provide full details, proper warranties and compressor maps of their expensive creations. If you can find none of the above, you may be purchasing a set of poorly revamped stock turbos with oversized compressors machined to fit (invitation for easier compressor surge).

It's the exhaust housings that tend to be the limiting factor in these OEM designs and the so-called hybrids do not address this.

If they have cut-back turbine wheels then they trade off a lot of efficiency and some boost threshold for a slight decrease in backpressure (poor tradeoff)

There could always appear a set of 'hybrids' that really is an improvement on the stock units, but I'm not holding my breath...