The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replace the stock boost gauge?

ivan

Newbie question time. :innocent:

I'm not happy with the stock boost gauge on my JSpec ('98 5-dial dash) because it only shows "- 0 +" without any values.

The car's had 2nd (Chris Wilson) decat so may be running too high a boost for all I know. I know the restrictor ring's not fitted.

What boost gauge would you recommend as a direct replacement for the stock one to give me peace of mind?

I'm totally new to turbos so have a lot to learn...

Cheers

edit-- Corrected by Tim, it's had the 1st decat

No chance Ivan mate. There are no decent bost gauges that small.

You'll just have to install an extra gauge of some sort. If you've decatted and got a FCD fitted you NEED to know how much boost you're running.

Have you got a FCD fitted? Do you ever hit fuel cut? I did on my 98 VVTi TT with just the front cat removed.

Give me a chance Jake - I've only had the car a few weeks - I'm still getting used to her before I let my right foot completely loose. :rtfm:

:lol:

But on the one or two occasions that it "slipped" and I accidentally went up to 130 with foot flat down there wasn't any cutout. AFAIK there's no FCD fitted. (It's TimWildman's old car.)

Ah well, I may have to lose the l/h air vent then :(

Cheers :respekt:

Defi gauges are very nice but they aren't cheap.

You need to buy the controller aswell!

You can remove the clock and put one in it's place. I bought a 52mm defi gauge which I thought would be a perfect fit. It was actually a bit small, I had to make an adapter ring to make it neatly fit.

I've seen a couple of J-Spec facelifts with a 52mm boost gauge installed into the stock location, but they all dremmel out the face and install it over the standard faceplate. I had a look, but it was far too complicated compared to a pillar mounted version, so didn't do it. You will have to cut all of the rear of the instrument cluster out if you wanted to do it, which I wasn't willing to do.

When I had only the lower (2nd) cat fitted on the VVTi the boost gain was minimum. I believe the 1st cat (as with all Jspecs) controls / limits the boost. Until this is removed, you shouldn't get much over standard boost (IIRC).

60 is rather large. Most people go with the 52mm in the clock space.

The one above is 45mm when in its case. I'm sure you could get a mounting pod of some sort.

The thing is with boost gauges, is that you either need to be able to keep an eye on it, which means pillar mount, or get one with a peak warning, which means 60mm I believe.

A 52mm gauge is too small to put in place of the clock on the facelift car without making an adapter. I fitted a piece of black plastic behind with the correct size hole.

I had a sheet of 3mm black plastic so I made a 52mm diameter hole in it and glued it on the other side of of the dash panel.

It's a little set in from the front, the gauge fits in nicely and looks neat!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/rexmerckx/CIMG0730.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/rexmerckx/CIMG0734.jpg

It was the first cat that came out, But it never hit boost cut when I drove it so I didn't fit the FCD.

Cheers for that Tim. :thumbs:

(And I saw the speedo pic on your website, so you've definitely driven it faster than I will. :innocent: )

PS. Watched your "Nur or Bust" videos too. :cool:

But it looks to me that the stretch where you hit 167 was more like the motorway near Gent rather than inside Germany. Am I right?

PS. Watched your "Nur or Bust" videos too. :cool:

But it looks to me that the stretch where you hit 167 was more like the motorway near Gent rather than inside Germany. Am I right?

No comment esp at 1:39 on a sat morn :rolleyes:

P.S. that was before the de-cat..

P.P.S must change avtur