The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling all aerotops.....

MizTheWiz

Hi guys its that time again for the hardest decision I have to make each day in the summer!!

Roof on with aircon feel cool........

Roof off Sweat but look cool........

The question is what do you use to go topless?

I have a rachet allen key thing with loosen on one side and tighten on the other.

Even though i have got my time down to about 1.30 mins lol. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a quicker or better tool or device to use. like a 12v somthing or other lol.

There has to be a better way ???????????

Guest nilpoints

Can you use the roof with just the central locking pin in? It rattles but doesn't seem likely to come off. Mainly round town as it rattles.

I use a 12v Black&Decker screwdriver with 5mm(?) hex bit, 'coz I'm a lazy S.O.B.

And no, it's a really bad idea to rely on the single central bolt - everything will rattle around, and if it lets go, you'll do a good impression of that bit in Fast and Furious where his rood goes flying off.

Can you use the roof with just the central locking pin in? It rattles but doesn't seem likely to come off. Mainly round town as it rattles.

NOOOOO!!! I'm sure I've read of a person on Supraforums who has done this and had a very bad experience of seeing their roof come off and bounce down the road behind them.

At around the £700 mark for a new roof I wouldn't take the risk even if the Supraforums story is made up.

NOOOOO!!! I'm sure I've read of a person on Supraforums who has done this and had a very bad experience of seeing their roof come off and bounce down the road behind them.

At around the £700 mark for a new roof I wouldn't take the risk even if the Supraforums story is made up.

I think someone on this forum had that experience, will not shame them though :p

I know of at least two people in this country who have lost their roof because they drove it with just the centre pin engaged. One off this board and one belonging to some bloke near Cambridge if I remember correctly, but that was about 4 years ago.

Re. the question about clip on rooves, yes some cars do have these, but they don't give the structural rigidity that the bolt in Supra roof gives. I'm pretty sure the Corvette still uses a bolt in targa roof. The '68 to '82 T-Top Corvette had clip-in panels, but then it had the centre spar to help with a bit of rigidity like the MR2 T-Top.

Clip in ones are fine as long as you don't want the car to behave like a proper sports car when you put the roof back on.

Not sure about the just centre lock idea. i would only do 10 mph and be forever looking up lol.

I usualy just use the center lock for a quick pop the roof back on when popping into shops ect........

Surley running air con and no roof is a bad idea for the air con unit ???? Maybe im wrong. I know a fridge soon goes bang if the door is left open to long lolol oppps...... :(

Ill have to keep my eyes open for a 12v somthing just to speed things up. Im feed up with the "will see you in half an hour" comment i get from my mates lolol.... (there only jelouse) cooking in there non aircon fully inclosed Biscuit tins Heehee :nyah: