The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whi is Mackay? Oulton 19th July

Chris Wilson

I think track days are pretty expensive in this country unless you can get booked up in a group. When I was looking about last year - as an individual you're looking at ~£300 for a day, but I've been offered places at the likes of Bedford with a group at around £100-150 which sounds a lot more reasonable, plus its more fun to go on these events with people you know.

Sometimes I'd just rather save my time and money on a trip to Germany.

I try and do at least one full day a year, plus the odd session at things like JapFest at Castle Combe. Trouble is if you live down south your choice is a bit limited. You've got Thruxton, where they only have about 1 day a year, Castle Combe which is good but a bit scary due to the lack of runoff, Goodwood which has very restrictive noise regs and even less runoff or Silverstone which is great but very expensive for a full day. I was going to book one at Bedford in August but it's been cancelled or something and there don't seem to be any full days there until October! Anywhere else is a bit of a trek which means you really have to stay over which adds more expense. We could really do with more days at Thruxton, that'd be excellent!

I'll probably be doing an afternoon/evening at either Silverstone GP circuit or possibly Bedford in August now.

I think that for many people its a combination of the following:

1) Our Supra is our only mode of transport and need it to get to work/get the shopping/social stuff - therefore cannot afford to have it damaged or put out of action due to an incident on the track.

2) Cost. Track days are not cheap - £200 (give or take) for a session, plus insurance (£100-150) per session, plus petrol to/during/from the location (say £100 for us south east peeps), plus minor cost items like tyre wear... Its not a 'cheap day out' by any means. Not everyone has £600+ knocking around for a track day session.

3) Driving skill. Although I'm sure that almost everyone here would love to drive their car on the track, not all will be confident to do so. I think a lot of people won't drive their car on an open track day because they are worried about their own skill... well maybe its only me, but I'm sure theirs others!

Having said that, I'm planning on my first 'track' day on the 14th August meet. (Okay a runway isn't a track, but its a start!)

Having said that, I'm planning on my first 'track' day on the 14th August meet. (Okay a runway isn't a track, but its a start!)

Once you start it's very very addictive... :help: The insurance thing depends on where you go I think. Silverstone or Bruntingthorpe or whatever I don't bother - the chances of hitting anything are very small. Castle Combe or somewhere like that it's worth having though.