The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BodyKits

siriusprojects

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've got a question regarding bodykits on the Supra.

The thing is, I do like these bodykits you can get, however I am a little concerned about wear and tear. I'll explain what I mean.

When I purchased my Supra, the company in question also had another Supra on the forecourt with a body kit on. It looked really great, however, the one thing that instantly put me off was how low it was to the ground. The reason I say that is because, where I live, we have many speed bumps of varying sizes and it became apparent that the bodykit on that car would not last five minutes as it would be scratched and scraped to hell within days. As it is, the backbox on my Supra suffers from the odd scrape and scratch when I go over certain speed bumps.

My question really is to all those people who have a bodykit fitted. How do you get on with these bodykits? Do they suffer a lot of scrapes? I'd happily get a bodykit fitted to my car, but if it is going to be prone to this kind of damage, can I really justify forking out the money to have it done?

Your thoughts, as always, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The problem is really down to suspension height settings rather than the bodykit themselves. There are a lot of cars with lowered suspension that is IMO are too low (usually for aesthetic reasons, rather than performance), which causes such problems with bodykits and compromises handling, traction, etc.

I have a full Top Secret kit on mine (see link in sig) the front lip can be a problem but I've got my Hypermax coilovers set so there is small clearance to exhaust over speed bumps. Now and again if going up/down steep inclines eg. multi storey car park ramps, I catch the front lip but apart from that I have no problems.

Once you have your suspension set up to a reasonable height, to give sufficient clearance then you soon learn to be careful when negotiating obstacles.

I had one with a bomex kit on and it was too low. I had to be really careful all the time not to scrape it on every curb, bump or ramp. Nightmare. Jacking it up was a no no also.

It wasn't the kits fault - the ride height was too low.

I spent 2 days setting my Tein seuspension for speedbumps!

I have a pretty low car and know EXACTLY how high I can go! I have tackled some pretty stupidly high speedbumps without any problems!

Just dont go down the road thinking you can take a mini speedbump between the wheels ! I saw someone do this in a ferarri and completely kill the front bumper and hit their sump! MUPPET :stickpoke

Speed bumps are no problem for me, but slopes are, because the nose sticks out quite a way forward of the front wheels. Where you have a change of gradient, like a sloping drive off a road etc that is a problem. I would never make it down a multi-storey ramp. Also because it's made of fibreglass it is much more prone to stone chips.

In fact mine is in the bodyshop at the moment having the front bumper repaired - bit crack in it from when I forgot and attempted to drive up someone's drive on a slope, and numerous stonechips. But I drive the car everyday and it's been on for over a year.

Just last week i got on sideskirts and front lip (see attached), speedbumps are ok, it`s the steep inclines that catch that front bit. Now as you can see the wheels are still standard, my question is, where will ground clearance end up when i fit my new 18`s............. higher or lower than now??

Supra_front.JPG

Just last week i got on sideskirts and front lip (see attached), speedbumps are ok, it`s the steep inclines that catch that front bit. Now as you can see the wheels are still standard, my question is, where will ground clearance end up when i fit my new 18`s............. higher or lower than now??

Headlights are looking :cool:

Provided you get the correct tyre sidewall depth, ride height should be similar, if not slightly raised.

Headlights are looking :cool:

Provided you get the correct tyre sidewall depth, ride height should be similar, if not slightly raised.

@Nic, lights caught the fill-in flash i reckon :p

also i sent you an email a few days ago re. new facelifts ???

So what sort of jack do you all use with these kits?

I`m thinking of a dark rainy night finding the front wheel sitting on the rim :help: :Pling:

Speed bumps are no problem for me, but slopes are, because the nose sticks out quite a way forward of the front wheels. Where you have a change of gradient, like a sloping drive off a road etc that is a problem.

Just to echo Simons comments, I have exactly the same problem with my Do-luck front: its not the height, its how much the longest point of it sticks out from the front wheels.

Mine is also due a re-spray, its only been 4 months since it was last painted, though it is black. Silver, White and lighter coloured cars can get away with it for much longer before a re-spray is needed.

So what sort of jack do you all use with these kits?

If it's really low a good wooden plank a few inches thick is very handy for this. Drive up on it and you can get the trolly jack under.

Standard kit isn't a problem.

I can just about wriggle the jack under my lowered Supras without contact of the body kit.

Okay heres the deal.

You get a body kit.

You fit it.

You drive the car round with no concern for your bodykit.

You bump, scratch and trounce that body kit all year.

You fix it in the winter or refurb it.

Then a whole new year of not caring about those bumps, smashes and ear grating scrapes.

Well thats what I do :)