The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying advice

Guest ingleby

Guest ingleby

Hey all, I was just wondering if someone can put me right here. I currently have an MR2 MKII and its for sale, im going to be saving over the next year and then I want to buy a Supra. The spec im looking for is a TT Uk Spec around about 1994 upwards and it must be a manual.

However knowing that the uk spec MR2's rust like hell I was wondering if its worth either getting a uk spec Supra or a import as i dont want one to rust so quickly. Also I heard (or seen on here) that there were only 630 uk spec models made and will this mean finding one is harder?

Also how much (in a year remember) will I be looking to pay for the spec above.

If I buy one I would rather it was standard or had some light mod's but nothing too heavy as it will be primerily a weekend car as such.

Hi

Welcome.

Theres a lot of info about what car to buy, costs etc just search and read up on it.

I run an import TT auto; imports are generally lower miles and better overall condition - but that is a big generalisation.

As for price in a year, anybodies guess, determined by condition of car.

I think uk supras have galvinised(sp) bodies being originally a 40,000 pound car, so rust isnt an issue, you'd be looking at about 10k i expect but theres bargins to be had.. i just bought a uk supra tt auto as i prefer it, and it wasent hard to find one to be honest... easier to trace history on uk cars too, nowt wrong with the jap cars tho really, few extras between them nothing much.. i expect the uk car will hold its price better maybe?

How old is your MR2??? I run a genuine UK 1993 "K" and there is not (and should not be) a single spot of rust or sign of wear anywhere....

Its not been religiously looked after, only regular (self) servicing and such but rust shouldnt be an issue on any Toyotas these days,

DSCN1406.JPG

yes mate, use the search facility or go to the FAQ forum which is full of 'sticky' threads & archives of very very useful info. I'm about to take delivery of a Jap TT6 imprted through a member of this forum (Jurgen) - he's a good chap top speak to when you get serious about/closer to buying. HTH :)

Yeah im not into the auto's to be honest i like manual cars especially with the 6 speed gear box

each to thier own on that one, most like manual, but after driving a few i prefered auto.. finding a 6 speed isnt difficult as its standard on uk cars..

finding a 6 speed isnt difficult as its standard on uk cars..

No its not, there are only about 100 UK manuals at the point of sales, after all those are written off there arent that many at all, so its very difficult to find a decent example.

The UK came with Auto/Manual options. 5 out of 6 were autos.

I still don't get why most Supras are auto TBH. It's a drivers car ffs.... I'm not sayig that there is anything wrong with the auto, not saying that at all, I just can't understand why the vast majority of buyers - drivers - wanted the auto over the manual?? :shrug:

Its a GT car, mainly for cruising etc, its not a 'sports' car. It was designed to compete against the competition in the US and they're mainly autos too, plus the sort of people who could afford UK specs's at 40k+ are typically gonna be older generation people who arnt interesting in changing gears! :)

I dont understand it either, but i suppose it makes sense that older people bought it? (with that styling tho? :eek: ) and they like autos, but in all fairness its a very good gearbox unlike most autos.. incidentially i would never buy an auto version of anything else :eek:

heheh, cheers matey :)

Hope you're ready for a very very excited customer turning up ;)

BTW - after looking at the lack of flights I may be coming up on the train from sheff (will go there the day before and stay over at my dads house). Will keep you posted.... :)

Guest ingleby
How old is your MR2??? I run a genuine UK 1993 "K" and there is not (and should not be) a single spot of rust or sign of wear anywhere....

Its not been religiously looked after, only regular (self) servicing and such but rust shouldnt be an issue on any Toyotas these days,

Yeah its a 1991 Uk model and its rusting from inside out and the sills are shot. To be honest i dont think it was looked after until i bought it.

Guest ingleby
hi mate i mainly import supras got some in stock now if u fancy a look and see what they are like but most sell within few weeks of landing, but i am in process of buying few more this week.

am based near newcastle too. ;)

Hi mate, as I said its going to be this time nexy year before I can even consider buying one as I want to clear some loans etc before hand. Where abouts are you?