The mkiv Supra Owners Club

THOR rip off for NOS

Guest Rays the roof

Guest Rays the roof

Ok tried to do this the polite way, but as they are now too big they simply will not reply to me.

Had NOS fitted by THOR at a cost of some £1,200. They fitted the solenoids over the cylinder head (which gets extremely hot) and as the engine warms, the performance from the NOS reduces significantly.

I contacted them and was told "this is just the normal drop in performance expected as the engine warms". So I did a little research...

Wizard of NOS, the suppliers of the kit used by THOR, state that the solenoids should not be placed in areas of direct heat!!!!

I also posted on this forum regarding the location of the solenoids and many reputable members and tuners stated that THOR had not done the job correctly!

Despite the above THOR want to charge me to relocate the system that they originally did incorrectly. This is both unfair and to be honest a rip off.

I am afraid they are becoming too big to offer the level of service that got them their good name and hopefully as more and more of these stories emerge, maybe their reputation will drop to the levels where they will nee to refocus on the smaller customer's (LIKE US SUPRA OWNERS).

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Wizard of Nos system and it should definitely NOT be fitted anywhere near the engine. I had mine fitted on my Vectra GSi in the empty box for the fuses/relays so was well sheilded from direct heat. Hope you get it sorted mate. I paid £550 for the system with 25/50/75 And 100 Bhp jets. I fitted it myself....dead easy. £1200!!! wtf?!

Guest Rays the roof
Thats it Thor are off my Mod list unless they sort it for you Ray

Here's some tips for them

Look at my set up. Notice quality of hoses etc etc.

Picture 001.jpg

Guest Terry S

So it was £1200 for a single fogger & a purge kit?? Think that style hose is standard for the Wizard of NOS kits mate. Its nylon I believe. Not sure about the longevity in a hot engine bay though, but I am sure they know best as they must have designed plenty of systems.

Thor have probably placed your solenoids there to minimise the delay in the hit, but I understand your concerns with the heat.

Guest Rays the roof

Terry

It is Nylon and I had a problem when my fuel line melted. Luckily the system was not on at the time and I was able to stop the flow of petrol before a serious fire happened.

Another guy I know who has a TT had Thor fit a NOS kit. He has had problems with the nylon NOS line fracturing. Most other manufacturers supply braided line only, which is better quality and more durable. Maybe this is something Wizard are looking at.

In hindsight I should have shopped around for the best quality system, but hey that's life!!

:complain:

The hoses are a very special Nylon aparantly and are very good quality. They dont use Braided as they are harder to cut to length etc. Agreed that the location is a bit dodgy there, maybe they could move it next to the exhaust manifold for ya (just kidding).

Surely the kit should have been installed at the passenger side of the engine bay and the hoses run neatly and out of harms way etc etc. Very poor install IMO.

What exact spec of kit did you buy matey ?

Guest Rays the roof

What exact spec of kit did you buy matey ?

100 shot, with purge kit. Progressive controller would have been another £200 - £300 on top of the £1,200.

:sly:

Guest Terry S

ok it ( £1200) seems high, but they may have added a seperate fuel supply & FPR?, and if they did, they could have spent dyno time tuning the system via the fuel pressure to ensure the best performance.

Just a thought before they get hung

Guest Terry S
Very True Terry, but going to the effort of RR and tune FPR then buggering it up by fitting it where they have and it looks a mess.

Will be interesting to hear their side of things. I hope it all gets sorted Ray..

Yeah not saying they are in the right at all, just putting a spin on the situation. If they didnt do the things I said then it looks bad.

Guest T.F.S.

hi

first post on this site...

your system will be running very rich, the solonoids/pulsoids should be in the coolest place possible to prevent the liquid nitrous turning to gas.., this is better than lean it must be said but it is very sad to hear that there are still highpower dealers out there that do not know any better..

the basics of this is that the lines from solonoid/pulsoid to injector should be less than 12 inches...i like to see them under 10 if possible, this also prevents the liquid expanding into gas prior to the injection point

the injector itself (presuming you are using a single injector setup) should be slightly turned into the hose to promote (the guy above will love this) a "vortex effect" which helps mix the nitrous and the fuel and can increase performance as a result

on a noswizard kit no purge valve is needed provided you are using the standard nylon hose as you dont really get gasseous nitrous inside a smooth small bore hose but many people use it for show purposes only and understand it will not give any kind of performance gain

the fuel pressure should not have been altered for the system (have i read this right?) as the system is adjustable via jet changes inside the pulsoids

if you have any pics of the install or any questions im happy to try and help, either post them here or visit our forums at http://www.noswizard.com/bboard

regards, brian

Guest T.F.S.

just seen that pic of the pulsoids...

the fuel line should be moved from it position above the cylinder head...its just too hot!, you can order the bigger size fuel line as this is much more heat resistant, you will also need the adaptor

i would suggest that you move the pulsoids to the left of the engine bay as this would be away from the heat of the engine and closer to the injection point

the nylon lines are far better than any braided hose and we use these as a last resort if bay temps are too high or if over 150bhp is required as braided lines are weak and promote gasseous nitrous due to pressure drops

to give you an idea of costs i install nitrous in the dartford/gravesend area..a streetbalster 100i with a top of the range controller inc fitting and tune up to 100bhp would be under £1000

the fuel line should be moved from it position above the cylinder head...its just too hot!, you can order the bigger size fuel line as this is much more heat resistant, you will also need the adaptor

i would suggest that you move the pulsoids to the left of the engine bay as this would be away from the heat of the engine and closer to the injection point

the nylon lines are far better than any braided hose and we use these as a last resort if bay temps are too high or if over 150bhp is required as braided lines are weak and promote gasseous nitrous due to pressure drops

off subject a bit,but hi brian.are you still running the calibra or have you moved on.

kev.

Guest Rays the roof

to give you an idea of costs i install nitrous in the dartford/gravesend area..a streetbalster 100i with a top of the range controller inc fitting and tune up to 100bhp would be under £1000

Thank you for the information, which confirms pretty much what I had read. But it helps to hear it from a pro.....

I now await a response from THOR, if one will follow!!

While on the subject i had my Nitrous Express setup done @ Nemissis in Colchester.

75shot with dual Purge kit, fire and ice kit to warm and cool bottle and electronic psi guage.

Cost around £1700 all in with one free refill. (was back for that within the week :tongue: )

All my solenoids and bits are located near the airbox as it seems to be a cooler area and it uses stainless braided hoses.

Anyone care to voice an opinion if that was a fair price or good install.

Sorry if its a Hijack please dont shoot me :innocent:

Picture aint to clear either

Guest Rays the roof
While on the subject i had my Nitrous Express setup done @ Nemissis in Colchester.

75shot with dual Purge kit, fire and ice kit to warm and cool bottle and electronic psi guage.

Cost around £1700 all in with one free refill. (was back for that within the week :tongue: )

All my solenoids and bits are located near the airbox as it seems to be a cooler area and it uses stainless braided hoses.

£1,700 - fcuk me!!

Now that's where my NOS will be after this weekend when I relocate it!!

In the correct place!!!!

Where are the injectors located mate??

Guest T.F.S.

injector placement is fine

£1700 is expensive (more so for a cheap kit..)but at the very least it looks correctly fitted

Kghelmet

i still have the dam calibra lol, where do i know you from mate?