The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some Questions

Hucker

I love Supra's that much I do know. I recently saw the Panic Brother's car, amongst others, with 700+ BHP and lucious paintjob's. This is the car for me. The only problem is that I'm 21, and have my driving test tomorrow. I currently drive a 03 1.2 Clio (used to learn in and pass test).

Since I am inexperienced, I won't be able to use the TT properly, and insurance would be a joke, so I am thinking of getting a non-turbo to start me off and get used to the car etc. Is this a good idea, or shoudl I just not bother yet, and get more driving experience in the Clio?

What you'll spend on an NA .. you'll also spend on insurance - that's IF you get insured!

Don't take this the wrong way - but I'd stick with the Clio. A 1.2 may not be as fast as a 3.0litre inline 6 NA. But chances are it won't kill you.

But I'm not a stupid driver.

no one said you were mate, but the facts are that you havent even passed yet and i think you need to at least learn the rules of the road in a car with less power before you go driving a 220bhp car around......this comes from a 20 year old with a TT :ecstatic:

my insurance is crazy around the £2k mark.The only problem i see with someone driving a supra as their first car and that would be when your in a vitara or clio people dont try to race you but when your in a car like a supra you will get all sorts of clowns trying to race you, now you can be the most sensible person in the world but it depends on what you do right then and there which determines if your a good driver or not. At first its tempting to race everything but sometimes people do stupid things and accidents happen, all im saying is drive the clio around for a while, build up your NCB and then look to drive a supra, ive got 2 years NCB by the way

2k aint that bad for 20. Pretty good actually! But yeah agree there i did loads of stupid things when i passed my test but I was 17. I dunno if i'd be the same if I passed my test at 21. But there is definately things you need to learn in a slow car first.

Insurance companies will tar you with the same brush as any other young driver - I'm afraid.

To jump from a 1.2 litre Clio -without yet passing your test- to a 3litre NA car that does 149mph .. I personally don't think that's wise, purely looking at it from your own safety perspective.

However, rather than a Supra .. have you considered a MR2 SW20 NA ? They'll feel alot quicker than your Clio and they'll be cheap as chips to buy & maintain. An MR2 Turbo is alot quicker ... but again insurance companies will likely crucify you.

Am not trying to piss on your fire ... and if you've got your heart set on a Supra NA and can afford the running costs (insurance, servicing .. fuel). Then good luck to you ... just be bloody careful!

I doubt you'll get insurance on the NA - stupidly they can be more expensive to insure than the TT, plus they are all import.

I really struggled to find decent quotes (under £1500) when I was under 25 on my NA and I had a good few years NCB.

Not trying to put you off, just advising that although lower in power the NA isn't neccessarily the cheap option.

I wouldn't if I was you. A Supra just isn't a car for an inexperienced driver no matter what your age and the insurance companies know this. Like Faye says all NA's are imports so your onto a looser before you start. I say keep the 1.2 for a year and get saving... in a year or two you'll be able to get a dogs bollocks TT, cheap(er) insurance and have less of a chance of killing yourself (p.s. 22, 2 years NCB, TT import, bodykit and alloys... £1200 with elephant)

22, 2 years NCB, TT import, bodykit and alloys... £1200 with elephant
Interesting.

Last year, I went for a quote with elephant - declaring:

JSpec TT with Cat 1 alarm & immobiliser,

No aftermarket bodykit, 17" OZ Alloys,

HKS SSQ BOV, Blitz FATT Turbo Timer

DEFI Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges,

RSR Exhaust system

And they wouldn't insure me. At the time of the quote:

28yrs, 6yrs protected NCB, No points - no convictions.

My misses brings the quote down a bit (and I've declared 4 points)

Hmmm, My insurance is about £1000 that's all mods declared. It'll go up to £1300 with my T61 Budget single going on in August.

I wonder if it would go down if I put my sister on the insurance ?

Yeah, I think this is all good advice, thanks. My brain agrees with all of it.

My heart, though, always wants more. I got a quote from the people affiliated with this club for a TT this time next year, ie, one years driving - and a off the shelf, unmodded Supra will be 2k, not bad, I thought. So perhaps I should wait till then.

As you said, I have a lot to learn.

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Good luck with the test Huckler, you'll get a Supra one day if you really want it - I've wanted one for 8~10 years and youy should have seen my mates jaw dropped when I said I've got one on it's way from Japan instead of just saying I was getting one, year after year after year... ;)

Anyway, I'm 27, made myself save some pennies together and I'm looking at a 'sensible' insurance premium now I have a few years no claims under my belt. Get at least 1~2 years yourself too, save a fewe quid like ppl have suggested, and I'm sure the dream will be a lot more reaslistic (and you can get really up to speed on what Supras are all about and what to look for so you get the right car for you, first time). :)

You'll be so buzzing when you pass you test whether you're driving a Clio or a Supra it won't matter :)

SteveR

A quick test question: ON a crossroads, if you are coming to it, who gives way to who?

I always assumed that if I am approaching, and wanting to turn left, and the guy opposite also wants to turn right (onto the same lane) it is surely my right of way?

Also, if I am approaching and instead of turning left I want to go straight ahead, and he wants to keep on going right, I have the right of way, yeah? As he is crossing a lane?

Cheers.

This is the one thing I have realised I am unsure about, and my instructor has gone on holiday!

A quick test question: ON a crossroads, if you are coming to it, who gives way to who?

I always assumed that if I am approaching, and wanting to turn left, and the guy opposite also wants to turn right (onto the same lane) it is surely my right of way?

Correct.

Also, if I am approaching and instead of turning left I want to go straight ahead, and he wants to keep on going right, I have the right of way, yeah? As he is crossing a lane?

You're going straight ahead .. and the opposite driver is turning right. I'm not really sure. I've always given way to drivers in that situation.

~edit~ Thinking about it .. Yes in that situation - you have right of way - because they are crossing lanes while you are going straight on.

Clarkey needs to read his Highway code again! lol ;)