The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Help needed again sorry !!! (pic)

Guest Bigwheels2

Guest Bigwheels2

I was after my 1st Sup about 2 months ago, and sadly the car got sold (or disapeared from the dealer)

Well it has appeared back on ebay!!!, Im sure it still has somthing to so with the garage,but I think the possable reason he couldnt sell it is that finance isnt available on imports.

Well eitherway here it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4560306429&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

and a pic

It has the exact spec I want inc. colour, just Im worried about the milage,This is my dream lifetime car...(and the 1st loan Ive had towards the cost hence my worries)

So what are your views on it, Ive had app.60 Vws so this is new territory for me.

Cheers Peeps

Paul

That oversized rear spoiler doesn't really suit the car... but that just my opinion.

Also in the ad it states there is a warning light on the dashboard due to a 'couple of pence fuse' as he puts it. Surely if that is what the problem is then you would sort that type of thing out BEFORE you advertised the car ?!?

Its not stated as a Twin Turbo so it will be a normal aspirated engine... just something to note.

Rust is a strange issue with an imported car. Do you know if the car has been in the UK for many years? Or has it been kept near the sea?

It may suggest there has been a dent which has cracked the paint work and water has got in. Just for safety sake I would have a real good look round the rest of the car for other rust.

Sorry if this is sounding a bit negative so far but its best to point out all the negative things so that you know exactly what you're spending your money on.

The engine bay looks tidy enough. From the photos the body work looks straight.

The standard import alloys look very chipped and kerbed from some angles. And the headlights look like they need a good clean out (may just be the photo angle).

But if this is the car you want you've got plenty to haggle him down on price with.... and for the right price you will be a new Supra owner.

I'd still have a good look round on AutoTrader and other places and go and see a good few examples before buying.

Guest Sakura

Also in the ad it states there is a warning light on the dashboard due to a 'couple of pence fuse' as he puts it. Surely if that is what the problem is then you would sort that type of thing out BEFORE you advertised the car ?!?

I agree - it would put me off if someone hadn't bothered to sort out a really simple thing like a fuse. I would start to wonder what else he hadn't bothered with, like regular oil changes. He states there is some service history, which is fine if it has all service history since import, but at that mileage I would want to know it had been looked after. Do you know if the 106k is miles or kms?

As AJI said, sorry to be negative, but I would check it very carefully, and take someone with you who can be objective! There are lots of bargains around at the moment. I would be interested to see what his reserve is.

You mention the reason you think it didn't sell before - who says you can't get finance on imports?

Just be careful. It's so easy to get carried away because you think it's your dream car. If you are taking out a loan to buy the car, you don't want to find you need lots more cash to put things right. :)

Guest Bigwheels2

thanks for ya help chaps,,

It was for sale in a car dealers by me a few months ago and the day I went to buy it, it got sold

Current owner - 3months

Been in Uk for 6 years,

Was owned since import by a female from N.Wales to traded up to a Audi TT.

Appearently there is loadsa receipts and the c/belt has been done.

I have emailed the chap saying I cant make his £5050 reserve

as it needs

Paintwork £100

Fuse £20 inc. messin about,

Boot hydraulics £150

new stereo £100-

So see what come of it.

(Rogue) sent me some info please matey,,must be a manual tho

Thanks again chaps

paul

Just to note that the simple aicon 'regassing' could easily turn up into an expensive nightmare, if there are leaky parts (hence the need for regassing most times)

As for the fuses worth pennies, that we've heard before.

Rest assured that the seller would have done this long ago, if it were that simple. Usually the fuses burn again as soon as you replace them, so you need to delve deeper.

As for the surface rust, I'd look closer to other parts that are probably corroding too.

The last owner bought it on 16 May, less than two months ago.

Why is he so desperate to flog it?

Too much money for a n/a with flaws, IMO...