The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running costs

Big Ads

I dont actually own a Supra!!! :rulez: :angry: :woot:

I know i know, but i really want one!!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some cost figures on the general running of a supra?

Like how much it costs over a year if nothing major goes wrong.

And how much a tank costs and far you get with it

:thanks:

Guest chiefvinso

I think I read here somewhere that a jspec turbo is not much more to insure than a na - not sure tho, but anyway, age is going to hinder and will vary from company to company.

From 1/4 full to full cost me £60ish to fill up and i'd get around 240 miles on a tank. Worth remembering SUL is the very minimum you should be using with optimax being the best.

Can be used as a daily driver as I used to for 3 years however I know use a Cavalier TD to get to work as i'm working 30 miles away you will find a fair few on the forum doing the same.

Insurance for me at 29 I had to search around to get a quote of £700 some quotes up to £2500

Adam.

I have daft amounts of info about running my car - everything from MPG to regular servcing to tyre wear rates. Its an NA, but TBH the insurance is probably higher and the MPG about the same. PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

depends on the car you get too. fuel costs me about £70 for 250 miles. tyres dependin what you get and how you drive will be £600 for a set, then rears may need replacin after 7000 or so (although mine are on 13000 so far and are only startin to go). then depends on clutches (£500 for a new on fitted) etc, fluids and oil depends if you can do it yourself....

a looked after supra is bullet proof mate, a 90k one might be mint still whereas a lower mileage molested one might be a shed. best thing to do is get one from a reputable dealer or someone from the board. failin that, see if someone who knows supras can go with you to look at one. most people on here are helpful and wouldn't mind goin. try some quotes on a JDM car too, UK is lower mileage but there's people who are 23 with imports too. if you get an import you'll get a wider choice of cars, Jurgen-JM-Imports on here is a importer (as you can guess by the name ;) ) and can sort you out a mint motor

would you recommend gettin a sup with higher than 60000miles? wont it start breakin?

It depends who owned it in advance, how much care they took of it and what they have already replaced. Buy a neglected car with 30k on the clock and it will probably bite you, get a cherished 100k car and continue to look after it and you'll probably find it cheaper.

It's not a cheap car to own just based on fuel costs alone but if you pamper it with regular oil changes and services it there isn't a great deal that goes wrong. Obviously bits wear out over the years and some parts are expensive but with a club like this you can always pick up a bargain or two :)

Guest chiefvinso

As my dad says, if you want a performance car you have to be preapred to pay performance prices. When mine finally arrives I know that the fuel cost alone is going to make a big dent compared to my seicento! But I have had an mr2 turbo and other turbo cars so running costs are going to be more than your basic car.

Guest Sakura
i'm just not sure if the running costs are too high, they are such a beautiful car tho!!!

hmmmmmmmmm just dont know

You have to weigh it up against whatever you drive now, what it costs, and what it's worth to drive one of the most gorgeous cars on the road.

:ecstatic:

If running costs are a real factor - buy a Supra and drive it at weekends, walk to work during the week! :)

Adam - also consider the costs of replacing turbo(s) to single or Hybrid .. if they go bang. Granted a BPU Supra running 17.5psi will wear it's turbo's out quicker than a standard running 11.5psi - but from speaking to a few techies on here ... the general concensus is "If they're going to go ... they're gonna go."

This is where an NA is pretty good - there are lot less things to go wrong with it.

Depends on how deep your pockets are .. and what you want out of the car : Looks or Looks & Performance.

Also, have a look at what the basic monthly costs are against your monthly pay check. Try £300 for petrol, £30 oil then if at least one of the following breaks; tyre £100, clutch £200, pads £50, disc £100. And youll probably want to give it a full service and fluid change once you get it which will cost you a few hundred. Not trying to scare you but you should DEFFO have some spare cash when you buy. Shortly after I got mine I had to replace my discs, calipers and pads at the rear which was a bit painful but some reserve helped. Definetely use the search and see what all the bits and pieces cost.